Bubble tip new crisis

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to say the nem probably wasn't getting enough lighting, but I'm not familiar with Biocube stock LEDs.

I wasn't either had to ask our google overlords, which I'm used to by now when helping with Nems :)

I just reported a post in the Nem and Clown forum Dr Fish, would you mind looking into that please and if it needs something else shoot me a PM

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting some solid advice here. You also took the first, and best, step by coming here for help. I didn't my first go around and learned the hard way. Also, don't feel like you're getting beat up on.. We ALL want the best for you, your tank, and the critters that call it home. Good luck!

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA needs a high PAR lights to survive. They wonder around in search for a good amount of light (unless they are splitting or in hiding mode) and flow. When I have tricolor BTA, she moved to the highest rock and called it home. Split 5 times before I sell it off, all of them. At 2.3W 80 PAR, that is way too low for BTA.

OP
OP
A

Amy Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well I guess ill make a run to the store this weekend for lights...not sure how to mount them my tank has an attached hood I might have to break something. He may have been a freebie but he's a part of my family so ill spend some money to help him

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, remember regardless of what the local fish place tells you, you need lights with a decent PAR output, make sure you can either look it up online or read it on the box itself. Keep in mind your tank is 21" high so you'll need some decent penetrating power, but with different lights and more importantly lights of the correct spectrum, you might be able to get him to stick higher up on the rockwork this time.

Let us know what you decide to go with and good luck!

And yes you're hood will probably either come off or get heavily modified

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amy I have the same biocube. I've looked at this website briefly, I don't need a mod like this so I haven't really investigated but some of the folks over in the nano forum really like these lights, even grow 'nems and SPS under them. I don't know your budget or if you can get them fast enough to save your 'nem but maybe worth a look? Supposed to be plug and play.

http://www.stevesleds.com/

HTH. Cindy

OP
OP
A

Amy Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amy I have the same biocube. I've looked at this website briefly, I don't need a mod like this so I haven't really investigated but some of the folks over in the nano forum really like these lights, even grow 'nems and SPS under them. I don't know your budget or if you can get them fast enough to save your 'nem but maybe worth a look? Supposed to be plug and play.

http://www.stevesleds.com/

HTH. Cindy
Cindy thank you so much I ordered it and expedited the shipping. Hopefully hell hold out.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats @Amy Flynn

And thank you @CindyKz I'm going to have to file that away in the memory bank for cube users. Steve's sells quality stuff. I've gotten plenty of diodes from them for this or that project.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Amy! Glad to see there was a good option specific to your cube

OP
OP
A

Amy Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks to everyone else who's helping. I did a water change last nights and tested again this am and levels are back to normal. Ill keep you updated on how he gets on. He's still on the same rock slightly more open than yesterday and one of my perculas said hello while I was watching.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to the conversation ;Wacky

I would not add a nem to a reef that's less than six months old in maturity and very stable.
And I have not spot fed mine, in two years but I do dose "Reef Energy"

Here's a link for BTA's, if anybodies interested. It is clunky :confused: but you can use the "More" tab :)
http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

@Amy Flynn
Good luck and wish you all the best with your BTA.

OP
OP
A

Amy Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today he's looking worse so I made him an isolation tank. Luckily I was able to find a tiny t5 light on Craig's list along with a tiny powerhead.
IMG_20170924_194605.jpg

OP
OP
A

Amy Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about an hr since I moved him and he's starting to peak out...
IMG_20170924_203500.jpg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Amy, I am not familiar with that light...if it is truly T5HO then maybe it will help, as I suspect (as others who've commented in this thread) that not enough light is the issue. He's looking pretty rough but at least his mouth isn't gaping. Good that he is out of your main tank.

I don't see any filtration on your hospital tank though...is there any? Also, did you add any sort of biofilter (seeded sponge, live rock, bacteria in a bottle)? Not trying to be a know-it all, just trying to help. I know how stressful having a sick friend can be !

Cindy

OP
OP
A

Amy Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Amy, I am not familiar with that light...if it is truly T5HO then maybe it will help, as I suspect (as others who've commented in this thread) that not enough light is the issue. He's looking pretty rough but at least his mouth isn't gaping. Good that he is out of your main tank.

I don't see any filtration on your hospital tank though...is there any? Also, did you add any sort of biofilter (seeded sponge, live rock, bacteria in a bottle)? Not trying to be a know-it all, just trying to help. I know how stressful having a sick friend can be !

Cindy
There is a small whisper filter on it with a piece of my main polygon filter and some charcoal. I put some of my live sand along with the big rock he's sitting on to give him some bio filter.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH MY.

my initial thoughts are Water Quality really messed this poor thing up. Anemonees love Very stable tanks and are not something that should ever enter a new tank or one less than 6 months old unless you are a seasoned vet. But that said, now what do we do about it.

1. No more feeding it. this is partly what kills water quality. I never target feed my BTA (or even myRock Flowers) so they only get what they need via photo synthesis and catching when I feed the fish. even then it may only be a single mysis or two.
2. stay on top of that water quality. ESPECIALLY in that tiny tank. weekly 15% changes will go a LONG way to helping here.
3. we dont know the light history here but dont burn the tar out of now with that T5. Slowly adjust the nem to it. 6 hours max for the first few weeks then add 30 minutes each week.

On Water quality, I have seen my phosphates as high as .65 and as low as .01. Nems are happy. My nitrates run usually in the 20PPM range. sometimes less, sometimes more. I like to watch my fish eat and i feed 2 cubes of Frozen daily for my 5 fish. (maybe time to get more fishes LOL). below is the pair i have now. they are BTA, but have never really bubbled for me. at times though I do see bubbles in the tentacles. still havent figured that aspect out.

IMG_20170902_183822.jpg

IMG_20170902_183822.jpg

IMG_20170902_183844.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back