Bubble Tip vs. Hammer. Anyone know how this ends?

DaltoniousMax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble tip that has recently moved a few inches up in my tank and has definitely caught the attention of a small hammer colony (~2.5 heads). It seems they are not getting along too well and I’m curious if I should let the conflict play out or coax the bubble tip to a new spot.
It’s a small nem in a 24 gal. cube.
In the close up pics you can see the nems tentacles are recoiled, and appear to be splitting or multiplying.
The blueish hammer is recoiled on that same side.
The Bubble Tip will move if he gets too irritated, right?
There are other premo-locations, nobody needs to die over that spot!
Should I intervene?
D4FAF8FC-5469-4872-82EE-81D512CBFD8C.jpeg
AAEDC6B2-A060-404A-933F-B50F8CEBB029.jpeg
8E2F3A7A-B618-4225-B374-E16B0F69D4E1.jpeg
The last pic can be compared to a pic in my tank build thread that shows his original position. Not the optimal viewing location, but at least everyone was getting along.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, the anemone wins. Easier to move the hammer. You have some nice corals. Moving the anemone may send him moving leading to a killing spree.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just giving my opinion of course. I am honestly surprised how many tanks I see with anemones right near corals. Maybe it works in some cases. In my experience anemones do not like neighbors.

If it is a wall hammer, I would be more concerned. If it gets damaged you could lose the whole colony. Branching you could risk a head only perhaps. Best thing to do is monitor closely.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much always the anemone will win, and it will sting most anything it touches.
The only thing I've seen that can kinda tolerate nem stings are gsp and xenia, but even those will show signs of being bothered slightly.
That BTA is small right now, as grows and relaxes, stretches out, it's gonna be a challenge in that tank

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alternative would be to put a properly sized rock between the two animals to keep them separated. Sometimes this works very well and allows otherwise antagonistic critters to remain in proximity to each other. And if the nem decides to wander again, you can just remove the rock at that point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back