Bubbles from return

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Microbubbles from skimmer. Turn off skimmer and see if it stops. If so, you can add as I did to a past tank and acrylic piece to break up bubbles before they reached my return pump+

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of that plumbing was sucking air, I would expect to also see salt creep or a drip now and then, as once all the air was purged it would likely seep small amounts of water.

I don't see how microbubbles could be making it out the submerged baffle hole from the skimmer chamber, through the chaeto AND through the bubble trap to the returns.

My vote is your original plan, replumb the left return and do your best to limit the horizontal run, or just use some flex PVC.

OP
OP
McDowellreef

McDowellreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you rule out the return pump pulling in air from the surface? If that is the case, adding a 90 elbow to the pump inlet (pointing down) may help.

Is it possibly pulling in microbubbles from the previous chambers / or ones created at the last baffle? If so, a material that Bulk Reef Supply sells (aquamesh) may help. It goes after the baffle, and causes almost all bubbles that slip through to float up and pop at the surface. You can also build a "aquamesh box" around your return pump. It solved my problem...
I can look into if I could add a part into the inlet. I’m only getting micro bubbles on 1 return line. I have dual pumps. When I turn off the left return pump, the bubbles go away.

OP
OP
McDowellreef

McDowellreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of that plumbing was sucking air, I would expect to also see salt creep or a drip now and then, as once all the air was purged it would likely seep small amounts of water.

I don't see how microbubbles could be making it out the submerged baffle hole from the skimmer chamber, through the chaeto AND through the bubble trap to the returns.

My vote is your original plan, replumb the left return and do your best to limit the horizontal run, or just use some flex PVC.
Going back to one of my questions, do I need to look into the plumbing in the overflow also?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick and dirty idea, since you really don't need a big slope in that line, if the pump is sitting on a silicone mat or suction cup stilts or anything like that, remove it. That would add maybe a 2-3 degree slope to the pipe, just enough to push the air out and up. It'll be noisy from vibration, but will give you your answer before you tear things apart.

Shortening the little bit of vinyl tubing at the left upper end would likely have the same result, giving just a few degree slant upwards on the left end.

OP
OP
McDowellreef

McDowellreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick and dirty idea, since you really don't need a big slope in that line, if the pump is sitting on a silicone mat or suction cup stilts or anything like that, remove it. That would add maybe a 2-3 degree slope to the pipe, just enough to push the air out and up. It'll be noisy from vibration, but will give you your answer before you tear things apart.

Shortening the little bit of vinyl tubing at the left upper end would likely have the same result, giving just a few degree slant upwards on the left end.
I think I understand putting a angle on the plumbing, not straight plumbing. Waiting on my plumber(son) to come over.

OP
OP
McDowellreef

McDowellreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally we plumbed the return and put a slant on it and that seemed to resolve the problem. Thanks for all the help. On to next issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back