Bubbling SPS disease

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen something similar with a frag of leptastrea in my tank. Some of the bubbles got pretty big, ended up bursting on their own..followed by tissue loss and now regrowing over the dead patches. This photo was from a few months ago. SPS remain unaffected.

Untitled by Tyler Duplaga, on Flickr

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what my pc rainbow did! It won’t grow now it only bases out… I just clipped the top off to see wha happens if it will grow a new shoot or just skin over and bubble.
Please let me know how this goes. I was cleaning of my nuisance "gray stuff" blasting with a powerhead and hit the acro with it on accident, once I did I went ahead and busted the bubbles with it but they are back. No side effects with other corals getting it, yet.... That was over a week ago.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody with this problem dose iodine/iodide?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d implore some of you with this issue to try a small daily dose of a potassium iodide additive to see if there’s any effect. Iodide is theorized to have antioxidative properties in the tissues of corals and help with the effects of intense lighting. At the very least it can’t hurt anything.

I recently started dosing potassium iodide to my system daily and noticed an instant turn around in my montipora colonies and cyphastrea. In several days it went from stn to growth and better color. Also increased growth and color in some of my Acropora colonies over the past several weeks.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d implore some of you with this issue to try a small daily dose of a potassium iodide additive to see if there’s any effect. Iodide is theorized to have antioxidative properties in the tissues of corals and help with the effects of intense lighting. At the very least it can’t hurt anything.

I recently started dosing potassium iodide to my system daily and noticed an instant turn around in my montipora colonies and cyphastrea. In several days it went from stn to growth and better color. Also increased growth and color in some of my Acropora colonies over the past several weeks.
Well I recently got an icp result back and my tank is actually too high in potassium and was low in iodine. I have corrected the iodine per recommendation. This icp results was received about two weeks before I noticed the bubble.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, same with me. I had an ICP test done in Nov. that showed low Iodine at 40 ug/l. Started dosing and got another one done in late December and it was at 144 ug/l. So I obviously overdosed what I was using (brightwell iodion)... This could have been one of those "point in time" high levels considering I had recently started dosing, so I am not overly concerned with consistent toxic levels at this point. With that said, it hasn't done anything for my acro.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on a facebook page claims his iodine levels are high because of KZ Flatworm, which I dose daily. Anyone else heard that? Found any solutions to this unknown issue?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on a facebook page claims his iodine levels are high because of KZ Flatworm, which I dose daily. Anyone else heard that? Found any solutions to this unknown issue?
Haven’t heard that… mine all went away finally and I’ll never know why I had it or how it went away lol.. I still to this day dose 2 drops a day of lugols

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t heard that… mine all went away finally and I’ll never know why I had it or how it went away lol.. I still to this day dose 2 drops a day of lugols
Did everything start growing again? I think you were having issues with your PC Rainbow...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did everything start growing again? I think you were having issues with your PC Rainbow...
Yes everything is growing like crazy! Yeah my pc rainbow was bad! You can the new shoots it was bubbled and stunted for a good 6 months.
IMG_2913.jpeg

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly that would be the easy fix so I hope so. Mg is at 1380, Ca at 450, and Alk at 8.6. If anything, I've had a rise in Alk but again this has been going on slowly for a long time (6 months or more).
Having gone through this. It’s not that. There was no fix. I battled it for 1.5 years. Tenuis seem highly susceptible, occasionally others would mimic and stop growing or die outright.

Sorry I don’t have a solution and don’t believe there is one at this time.

No one has any idea what’s causing this, only speculation. Don’t race to change stuff cause you will cause more harm to your healthy coral, for what is at best a general anecdote.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back