Buck Toothed Puffer

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 4th arothron puffer over a 30 year span, until now, I have never had a dental issue. Every puffer until this one, somehow managed to keep their teeth filed down. I think this one even gets more crunchy stuff that is usually recommended to help with this issue. The difference, this is just a lazy guy that does not scavenge, so now I have a dental issue that will require human assistance.

I've tried and failed to track down local leads to "so-called" professional help, so I think I'm on my own. I really don't want to do it, but don't think I have any other option. I have clove oil but have yet to track down a really good explanation of the procedure and dosage. Any one with a link to get instructions with specific dosage would be greatly appreciated.

@Big G
014.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil is, well, a bit unreliable in strength. Recommend MS-222 instead. Very reliable, industry results and tested. Much safer.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 4th arothron puffer over a 30 year span, until now, I have never had a dental issue. Every puffer until this one, somehow managed to keep their teeth filed down. I think this one even gets more crunchy stuff that is usually recommended to help with this issue. The difference, this is just a lazy guy that does not scavenge, so now I have a dental issue that will require human assistance.

I've tried and failed to track down local leads to "so-called" professional help, so I think I'm on my own. I really don't want to do it, but don't think I have any other option. I have clove oil but have yet to track down a really good explanation of the procedure and dosage. Any one with a link to get instructions with specific dosage would be greatly appreciated.

@Big G
014.jpg
Please make this pic your avatar! Sorry I don’t know how to trim teeth...

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read both of the provided links, seems like a good idea to consult a vet. Interested to see how it goes. Fortunately you're in such a populous area. In my town of 5,000, the two vets here just sort of laughed when I asked if they had any experience with fish.

I also +1 the motion of using the buck tooth Puffer as your new avatar.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a puffers teeth get too long it can cause an inability to eat and death. Having clams in the tank can help, also small crab shells with some meat stuffed on the inside. After a certain point they are not able to trim unassisted, in which case clove oil and some stressful manual trimming will become necessary. If a vet can do it for you then that is definitely the way to go.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a puffers teeth get too long it can cause an inability to eat and death. Having clams in the tank can help, also small crab shells with some meat stuffed on the inside. After a certain point they are not able to trim unassisted, in which case clove oil and some stressful manual trimming will become necessary. If a vet can do it for you then that is definitely the way to go.

This puffer gets clams, fiddler crabs, shell on shrimp, human grade krill(crunchy shells), silversides(bones), and I think if they don't pick the rocks and siff through substrate this is what happens. My other puffers were always scavenging. I've had this guy about 6-7 years, I've had one over 10 years.

Well i'm out of luck for a vet. i had heard one place in town did it, they had never returned my messages. I got a human on the phone today, she said "You have to bring him in for an exam", I asked if they would do him when I brought him in, she said "they would have to see him first". I asked if they were able to do it the same day I brought him in, that I would not pull him just for an exam. She said "they would have to see him first". Maybe it's me, I said "never mind" and hung up. I've learned time and time again, when you are having a stressed and difficult conversation with someone you are trying to hire, it's best to just , not hire them.

Really not sure what to do at this point, I think he is better on his own than me trying to operate. I'm going to try and hand feed him crab legs, snails, and such exclusively foir a while to see if that helps.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestion for the public aquarium,they may have their own fish vet. Do you have any trustworthy fish stores that might be able to help?

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestion for the public aquarium,they may have their own fish vet. Do you have any trustworthy fish stores that might be able to help?

I have exhausted all local resources. Access to the public aquarium resources are corporate, completely shut down, they have no interest or care. The lfs don't see this because most of their customers only keep their fish a year or two, so they never see this, and have no idea how to address it.

The top teeth look fine and he currently eats just fine. I just don't want it to turn into a health/life threatening situation. So I'm being proactive with a plan, I would just really hate to kill him by trying to do it myself.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite the situation— we’re all pulling for you! Let’s hope that even though it might ‘appear’ that his teeth might be getting to the point where eating it difficult, he can still manage to get adequate nutrition as a point of fact. Best wishes.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back