Budget cannister reef

ryanhopkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this project while I'm building my big tank, a budget reef tank with no testing to see how I get on. Im not doing any coral dipping either. It's all second hand apart from the light which I already had.

Custom tank 45cm x 45cm x 60cm tall
Jaebo sw80 wavemaker
Dd heater controller and 300w titanium heater
All pond solutions cannister filter with build in UV 1000lph
Few bits of rock I had lying about and a couple peices of small live rock from a friend.

I'm about a month In and the diatoms are slowly disappearing and some hair algae has made an appearance in its place. Only have a pair of clowns for now and I'm debating on 1 more resident. Have a few soft Corals that was either free or cost penny's. I'm not gonna do anything to the tank just let what I put in grow how it wants and where it wants!

Cleaning the sponges weekly on the cannister is getting abit tedious so I'm going to add a pre filter with the eheim quick attachments with filter floss in for ease of maintenence most likely will be changed every few days or at the most a week. The media in the cannister is aplhagrog (bought the filter set up so it was already cycled) and I've added 100ml of aquaforset carbon to In the filter aswell.
I've also added some caulerpa taxifolia to aid with nutrient export ontop of the weekly 10% water changes. I want to add a hob skimmer but the euro bracing it quite wide so I'll need to modify one most likely.

Up to now everything's looking great apart from the odd few polpys of palys that are annoyed presumably by the hair algae. I have had a couple aptasia that I have glued over but they've been the only hiccups up to now. If any more pop up I might leave them so I can get some berghia nudibranch and maybe some asteria starfish so I can add a harlequin shrimp. I'll most likely be adding an ato soon aswell as topping off everyday can get boring fast! Here's a few pictures of the set up!

I'll update any changes or new additions!
20211109_205739.jpg
20211109_205721.jpg
20211109_205713.jpg

20211031_232647.jpg

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this project while I'm building my big tank, a budget reef tank with no testing to see how I get on. Im not doing any coral dipping either. It's all second hand apart from the light which I already had.

Custom tank 45cm x 45cm x 60cm tall
Jaebo sw80 wavemaker
Dd heater controller and 300w titanium heater
All pond solutions cannister filter with build in UV 1000lph
Few bits of rock I had lying about and a couple peices of small live rock from a friend.

I'm about a month In and the diatoms are slowly disappearing and some hair algae has made an appearance in its place. Only have a pair of clowns for now and I'm debating on 1 more resident. Have a few soft Corals that was either free or cost penny's. I'm not gonna do anything to the tank just let what I put in grow how it wants and where it wants!

Cleaning the sponges weekly on the cannister is getting abit tedious so I'm going to add a pre filter with the eheim quick attachments with filter floss in for ease of maintenence most likely will be changed every few days or at the most a week. The media in the cannister is aplhagrog (bought the filter set up so it was already cycled) and I've added 100ml of aquaforset carbon to In the filter aswell.
I've also added some caulerpa taxifolia to aid with nutrient export ontop of the weekly 10% water changes. I want to add a hob skimmer but the euro bracing it quite wide so I'll need to modify one most likely.

Up to now everything's looking great apart from the odd few polpys of palys that are annoyed presumably by the hair algae. I have had a couple aptasia that I have glued over but they've been the only hiccups up to now. If any more pop up I might leave them so I can get some berghia nudibranch and maybe some asteria starfish so I can add a harlequin shrimp. I'll most likely be adding an ato soon aswell as topping off everyday can get boring fast! Here's a few pictures of the set up!

I'll update any changes or new additions!
20211109_205739.jpg
20211109_205721.jpg
20211109_205713.jpg

20211031_232647.jpg
Cool little tank. For anyone wondering the gallons its about 33g (18''x18''x24'').

I did the same with a 16g about 6 years ago and liked it so much it is still up and running. I don't run any filtration on that though. I also don't have any fish most of the time. Use it basically for an acclimation / learning how to eat tank for new fish.

OP
OP
R

ryanhopkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool little tank. For anyone wondering the gallons its about 33g (18''x18''x24'').

I did the same with a 16g about 6 years ago and liked it so much it is still up and running. I don't run any filtration on that though. I also don't have any fish most of the time. Use it basically for an acclimation / learning how to eat tank for new fish.
Cheers mate! Yeah I'm just gonna let this go wild, need some more cuc and maybe another fish or 2!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make this tank yourself? What I like most is the 24'' height in that it aligns closely with most 90g+ display tanks. Could look nice having them side by side or even two of these little guys, one on each end.

OP
OP
R

ryanhopkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make this tank yourself? What I like most is the 24'' height in that it aligns closely with most 90g+ display tanks. Could look nice having them side by side or even two of these little guys, one on each end.
No mate, I bought it from someone who had it custom made but ordered the wrong size. Got an absolute steal as I was going to set up a fluval edge initially

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back