Budget light for 16g biocube

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2019
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,049
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a nice budget light for my 16g biocube, the guy I bought it from included a current USA light that is like 4 inches too long so it sits very awkwardly on top of the tank. I'm not looking to get another ai prime currently I'm hoping to stay under 200$ for the moment. Any suggestions?
 
Hopefully a bump can get some ideas going.
 
I just had an idea. (that’s my one for the year)

@jda
 
I'm looking for a nice budget light for my 16g biocube, the guy I bought it from included a current USA light that is like 4 inches too long so it sits very awkwardly on top of the tank. I'm not looking to get another ai prime currently I'm hoping to stay under 200$ for the moment. Any suggestions?
I found a kessil A150 Ocean Blue locally with gooseneck for $100... seen a few on here every now and then, but I love that light on my little 6 gallon nano aio... Its just enough white/blue for me... I have zoas and a rock nem under it currently and they look great... just giving you an idea of a cheap alternative... very small and adds a little sexiness to the tank I think...

06B3265B-FBE9-4F50-9272-04C38C014281.jpeg 06007988-36D5-4125-BAF8-4D7055DC8E62.jpeg F06881B1-501F-425F-8FEC-3EB3B54343C4.jpeg
 
Mostly Los, I would like to try a couple lps at the very top of the tank
Look at the aquaknight. Inexpensive. Sleek. Should fit that tank beautifully. It has no problems with soft/lps.
 
Look at the aquaknight. Inexpensive. Sleek. Should fit that tank beautifully. It has no problems with soft/lps.
Thank you! For just a placeholder until I actually get coral I'm going to just use the stock light that comes on the Im fusion 10g
 
I have a current on mine, and I bought the arm bracket that you can hang on it, it looks/works better than just laying it on there
 
I have a current on mine, and I bought the arm bracket that you can hang on it, it looks/works better than just laying it on there
I would do that but given the location I can't have the light overhang the edge of the tank. So I'll probably sell the current usa light for 40$
 
What is the budget as far as budget light?

A single ai prime would allow you to grow almost anything in most of the tank. At around $180 used to $230 new with mount.

A black box will definitely grow anything you want, but mounting options are limited. I ended up diy’ing a mount for mine.
 
What is the budget as far as budget light?

A single ai prime would allow you to grow almost anything in most of the tank. At around $180 used to $230 new with mount.

A black box will definitely grow anything you want, but mounting options are limited. I ended up diy’ing a mount for mine.
I'm actually thinking the aquaknight I just watched a par test on an im fusion 10g and the test was excellent. The biocube 16's display volume is about the same so I may go with that. My fiance would kill me if I got another prime haha i also have a black box on my Im 10g and it's a pain in my butt
 
What is the budget as far as budget light?

A single ai prime would allow you to grow almost anything in most of the tank. At around $180 used to $230 new with mount.

A black box will definitely grow anything you want, but mounting options are limited. I ended up diy’ing a mount for mine.
Actually... amazon is running a special with their credit card for 0% interest if you use the card and pay over 6 months... may get an ai prime
 
Before you go crazy spending on lights, imo wait. You will upgrade the tank in 12 months.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new