Budget light for 55 gallon rimmed tank

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, another novice lighting question. 55g rimmed tank, most likely will end up mixed reef, or maybe just softies. Decided to try 2 hipargero 100 watt lights. I think they're fine (using one on my current 25g rimless) except they don't work on a rimmed tank! The screws aren't low enough to fit under the plastic rim and putting them ON the rim makes the plastic bend.

Help me out here. Need something tank mounted, not hanging. I don't mind spending some money (the 2 hipargeros cost nearly $300 together), but I can't go much higher than that.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Everyone knows what I'll say but I'd honestly check out Noo-Psyche lights for the cost and efficiency. Best of luck :)

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something similar to this possibly solve your problem. Maybe the 3d printing community can help you out.

if this exact one doesn’t work. Maybe you can work with them to find something that does. Since you’ve already invested the money in the lighting. It would be a shame to just buy more lighting. 4EA4DD6F-1368-4717-AF87-8BE44AF2D1D1.png

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows what I'll say but I'd honestly check out Noo-Psyche lights for the cost and efficiency. Best of luck :)
I think the problem is with the mounting option on the rim of the tank. Do your tank mounting arms solve that problem or would the OP be in the same situation with your companies mounting brackets?

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can those be rim-mounted or do they have to hang?
From the description it appears that they’re made to be a conversion mount. It screws onto your rimmed aquarium and gives you essentially a rimless like mounting point. I’d contact them and see if what you’re looking for is what they have. It appears to be what you’re needing though. I’d verify with the designer before buying though. I’d also verify that the light you plan on screwing onto it doesn’t weigh more than an ai prime like is stated in the description

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%

Back