Budget Quarantine Options

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally one of the reasons one hears for not quarantining their fish, is lack of funds.
Wanted to give some ideas to make them less of an upfront expense.
Forgive the photos i thought i made 20 gallons of saltwater, made 15 ;Blackeye

image.jpg
Filtration:
I use old reactors as qt filters. Had bought this particular reactor for bio pellets. No longer use. ordered on amazon nylon dish scrubbers and cut the centers out and slid down the reactor tube. I run this continuously on my display. Need to qt simply move to qt. Any reactor can do this no name brand required. After i am done with this round of fish, i throw out the scrubbers and replace. An 18pk or 3 qts worth cost-
$6
Water movement:
This is the cheapest PH on amazon. This will not be enough for corals but enough for the water to circulate and provide surface agitation.
2pk was $15
Heater:
There are 2 aqueon preset 50w heaters.
$7.31 each
Additional aeration and or filtration:
Sponge filter and an air pump. I do not remember what the air pump cost. I actually bought for an egg tumbler years ago. But the sponge filters are new.
3 pk $9.99.

Light:
Use anything. I have some led strips i put in a clear tube that came from a camp smores set from the grocery store. But this can be a florescent bulb in a clamp, a cheap aquarium light from china. A timer will help adjust your fish your dt.
~$8-15 for light plus timer.
A way to test ammonia and salinity.
Free since most own. If want a seachem badge.
$7
If also need Prime and bacteria $15-20

Tank and stand:
$40 at petco buy when they run sales. Or go used. My one lfs always has used tanks and they usually run $5-25 for upto 50 gallons or so. Could be free if you have an empty tank.

*list does not include medications, but simple observation tank.

OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube light since not sure my description actually conveyed its budgetness lol
8A74572D-3D9A-4370-BC51-1A1BBA5F9B41.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back