Budgeting for a 4-5 foot tank - what do you think?

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, maybe get rid of all my old crusty stuff and just start over with a nice reasonable 4-5 foot tank. No budget gear, old, or used stuff except for emergency backup. Fully automated and relatively easily managed by one person with limited time. Refocus on the hobby like a laser - get all the (small) fish and corals I know I want.

But also no custom tank or furniture, basement fish room, frag tank, fancy euro gear, crazy dosing setups, electrical sub-panel, dehumidifier, motorized canopy, whole house generator, calcium reactor, ozone, etc. There's some apex fluff I can cut out for sure, but otherwise pretty reasonable, imo. Everything off the shelf, could buy this tomorrow.

Some of this I already have (like the generator and power backup), but holy smokes almost $44k before taxes and overruns. Probably a $50k smack in the wallet before it's all said and done.

RgCqN3R.png

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are already experienced and aware that it can be done way, way cheaper than that - I would steer away from commenting on that aspect.

However, with a “no budget, care free, ease of maintenance first” build I would suggest adding a third, separated system for coral quarantine.

Sure, this would slow down introduction of new corals, but it would also assure that no pests are entering your main system and would allow you to treat for all parasites in a separate setting, without ever disturbing your main system.

And with daily auto water change routine in mind - this coral QT can also be maintained quite easily.

Just food for thought.

OP
OP
Ernie Mccracken

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are already experienced and aware that it can be done way, way cheaper than that - I would steer away from commenting on that aspect.

On my first tank, I was using free IV bags to dispense Mrs. Wages pickling lime solution. Eventually I did upgrade to a Kent aquadose, though.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re amazing! I only noticed it because I use the same one. I have used over 20 different skimmers in the last 20 years including deleted, h & S and bubble king to name a few. I really like my Akula skimmer.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re amazing! I only noticed it because I use the same one. I have used over 20 different skimmers in the last 20 years including deleted, h & S and bubble king to name a few. I really like my Akula skimmer.
You should give the Ukrainian A&C skimmers a try, so far - it is the most impressive skimmer I’ve ever seen or used.

Edit: Included some pics of mine when I first received it. Definitely a unique design compared to the others.

IMG_5063.jpeg IMG_5056.jpeg IMG_7841.jpeg

Last edited:

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking, maybe get rid of all my old crusty stuff and just start over with a nice reasonable 4-5 foot tank. No budget gear, old, or used stuff except for emergency backup. Fully automated and relatively easily managed by one person with limited time. Refocus on the hobby like a laser - get all the (small) fish and corals I know I want.

But also no custom tank or furniture, basement fish room, frag tank, fancy euro gear, crazy dosing setups, electrical sub-panel, dehumidifier, motorized canopy, whole house generator, calcium reactor, ozone, etc. There's some apex fluff I can cut out for sure, but otherwise pretty reasonable, imo. Everything off the shelf, could buy this tomorrow.

Some of this I already have (like the generator and power backup), but holy smokes almost $44k before taxes and overruns. Probably a $50k smack in the wallet before it's all said and done.

RgCqN3R.png
Great list — recommend to burn it! When your significant other asks how much you spent, take the grand total and subtract 90%. Problem solved! Happy Reefing.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should give the Ukrainian A&C skimmers a try, so far - it is the most impressive skimmer I’ve ever seen or used.

Edit: Included some pics of mine when I first received it. Definitely a unique design compared to the others.

IMG_5063.jpeg IMG_5056.jpeg IMG_7841.jpeg
Where are they for sale?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are they for sale?
This is their site:

It is in Russian, so you will need to use google translate.

For international shipping I recommend contacting through the email found at the bottom of the page, he usually responds quite fast (though mind time zone differences).

They ship straight from Alexander’s store in Ukraine, where he makes them by himself.

A friend of mine just recently purchased one and it took about 2 weeks to arrive from Ukraine to Israel, even though both countries are in wars right now.

If you look more into this, you’ll see quite a few reefers from Ukraine and Russia (before the war) switched their Bubble Kings to this skimmer, and they did see improvements in nutrient control and skimate production.

You’ll also find Jake Adams (R.I.P) showcased and reviewed these skimmers multiple times, and planned to use the bigger one on his 400g SPS dominated tank.

If you like experimenting with rather unique and shockingly good equipment - I can’t recommend it enough.

Edit: Also - you don’t need to 2X the spec for acro dominanted tanks, if you compare air intake ratings and his recommendation for tank volume to other skimmer ratings you’ll notice that it’s far more reasonable (a lot more air intake in ratio to tank volume).

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back