Budgeting for your hobby

Steve Jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some strategies you all use for making this expensive hobby more affordable? Used equipment? DIY components? Trade / barter? Buying "on sale"?

3-500x400.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes, yes and yes! :D

If what you want requires you to have a real budget, then don't go big as everything big costs more. Take your time buying stuff and don't set up the tank with water until you have what you need. I spent 18 months setting up a 180g tank back when money was tight.

180g Tank $200.00 used
70g hex tank 50.00 used
Stand 300.00 home made diy and extremely heavy duty
RO/DI (for making water) 75.00 store close out
Filter socks 20.00 new
Skimmer 275.00 used
Sand 0.00 free from other reefers
Live Rock (LR) 50.00 my old rock plus 100 pounds used from other reefers
MH lights 500.00 1 store close out and 1 used
Chiller (1hp) 1000.00 new
In tank pumps 100.00 new
Main circulation pump 30.00 new (won at a club raffle using 30 raffle tickets at $1 each)
Timers and on/off switches 150.00 new
2 breakers and new outlets 80.00 new parts diy install
160g Sump (8'x2'x18") 175.00 for used tank, baffles & installation
Plumbing parts 300.00 new
45g water mixing tank 50.00 new
Wiring 100.00 new
Power strip 25.00 new

Total: $3500.00

This is what it looked like when I was done:
P1060001R1 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha! All of the above! :D I'm a fan of watching for sales.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, and what @Ron Reefman said above. Planning goes a long way to helping make this hobby possible. The bigger the expense, the more planning needs to be part of the process...and be willing to wait patiently for what you really want. I'm planning a 400+gallon build in a couple of years and I've already started getting equipment together for it.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time to shop. Shop for used items on forms, cregslist and even eBay!

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What others have said. Basically, don't just buy on a whim, and when you're first starting your budget, make sure you include a generous amount of PATIENCE. In reef tanks, only disasters happen quickly.

So, know what you want, and include several different alternatives that you'd be happy with if you found a good price on them. For example, if your dream skimmer is an Omega, maybe also research and find an equivalent Reef Octopus, Tunze or Skimz skimmer that would also get the job done. Don't set your heart on just one model, unless it really is the only one that is going to do the job.

Also, figure out which products tend to have stable prices, and which have come down in price over the years. Products that decrease in price - save those until your tank is closer to being ready. Products that are stable, buy them whenever you can find a good deal on them.

You can also get away with used products more easily in certain categories than others. I'd never buy an LED light used, for example, because LEDs have a limited lifespan. It's long (usually about 50,000 hours), but it's limited, and unlike with a MH or T5 fixture, you generally can't just buy a new bulb. Of course, you might decide that the lower price of a used fixture compensates you for that, but that's my preference. I'd also never buy a heater used - even new heaters can have some reliability issues, and a malfunctioning heater can absolutely wipe out your tank. The savings of going used just aren't worth it to me.

On the other hand, pumps, powerheads, tanks (in good condition), T5/MH fixtures, controllers, skimmers, reactors - all good candidates for a used purchase. Just make sure you have back-up pumps available. =)

And finally - never compromise on quality in the name of price. If you're deciding to spend less on a less desired product, make sure that it can still meet your needs. If you have to buy a replacement, it's suddenly not such a great deal, and if it leads to the loss of livestock, now you're really paying for cheaping out.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above, PLUS... research and planning before EVERY purchase.

This is a hobby. None of us NEED any of the equipment we're spending money on... it's just something we WANT. Be darned sure that you're not shorting things you NEED in favor of things you WANT. I noted one of the LFS's has a poster up advertising FINANCING on a new reef system. Good Lord, please tell me nobody is actually doing something like that!

Used, bargain, discount... it's a good thing, when it's appropriate. I typically stock up on filters, media, that sort of thing on Black Friday. There's little likelihood I'm going to regret purchasing DI resin, GFO, that sort of thing at half off.

All that said, buying TWICE, because you bought what was cheap, rather than buying what you really wanted, is unlikely to save you any money. With my latest build, I did a completely custom tank, rather than used, or even off the shelf stock. Why? I had a plan, knew what I wanted, and wasn't really going to be happy with anything else. For the custom tank, I ended up buying a USED 8 bulb T5 light fixture, cheap. Replaced the ballasts and bulbs, and managed to light my 140 gallon reef for under $300. Saved a bundle, and I'm quite happy with it, thanks. Buy SMART. You'll find, in the long run, that it's much better than simply buying CHEAP.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of turning to a life crime to fund. Maybe start a reef syndicate, Kinda like C.C. or W.W.C. but with a little less extortion and highway robbery. :)

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key in this hobby. It took me nearly a year from when I decided to start on my 75g until it was finally in my living room with water in it. 5 weeks later I only just now am to the point of moving corals to it. I originally planned on it taking 2-3 months....

Not all of us have a slush fund that can be tapped easily. So if we are to enjoy this hobby, then buying top name brand or all new equipment is not always going to be the best option. Buying used equipment can save you hundreds even thousands, depending on what you're looking for. You can regularly find used tanks, sumps, pumps, lights etc on local forums, Craig's list, or even on apps like LetGo. Knowing when the best time to buy also helps out a lot. Mid-late spring and into summer are the times when most people tend to get out of the hobby and are looking to offload their stuff. In many cases this is stuff that has been sitting in their living room or garage for months and they just want it gone. Other components like sumps and etc can even be found for sale at some of the smaller neighborhood fish stores and usually less than 1/2 of what it would cost new. Case in point. I went by one I don't normally go to for a copper test kit. Outside they had a 90g tank, stand and sump set all in really good shape for 150 bucks. The only issue was the corner weir was cracked. You can easily find a suitable replacement from sellers on Ebay that do all sorts of custom work.

Areas not to skimp, return pumps and lighting. You don't necessarily need to drop 400 on an Ecotech pump when a 150 Current EFlux will do the same thing. Lighting, so you want those Hydras or Radions. Don't we all... So get the next best thing or look for gently used. There are a ton of up and coming lesser cost high quality lighting options that will do the job until you can save the 1K you probably need for your the lights you want.

Corals and fish. Well here there isn't much wiggle room, but just because you don't have say 2-300 to drop on a frag doesn't mean you cannot have plenty of beautiful pieces or fish. Corals, buy the cheaper 1-3 polyp frags, or buy from local hobbyists. Also get to know the owners of the local coral vendors. Find out when they are holding their anniversaries. Most of them will have deals on fish and corals for up to 50% off. Also shop online say Ebay. You can oftentimes buy multiple frags from the same seller and only pay one shipping charge. Granted that's likely going to be $40-50 but if you buy 3 or more frags it's not too bad. Just be sure to check with the local sellers first, as they may have it for less.

In the end and it may take you up to a year or more for you to get that new tank up and running, but in the end you will appreciate it all the more.

U

User1

View Badges
I rob Peter to pay Paul. All things being serious that is pretty much what I do though because I have a few other expensive hobbies. I enjoy taking my car to HPDE events or private track days. These can be a bit expensive especially the farther away they are or extend to multi day sessions. I have to pick and choose to save some money or only attend one or two a year. So budget and cut so to speak. I also am a active scuba diver. Since I live in the Northern California the water is much colder here but the diving is some of the best in the world. Boat dives are great but again add up in cost, usually an overnight stay, etc. I now will do one of those a year but rest of my dives are day trips and usually off the shore/beach. Warm water diving which is rare for me is now every other year with a trip booked somewhere. More budget. Just two examples.

Lastly - small hobby or vice is Wine and Whiskey. My better half is more guilty of Wine but since I'm near Napa we'll go there several times a year and stock up. B word again and I buy less or only what is really necessary rather than collecting. Same applies for the nicer date nights. Bring the fancy bottles we have rather than spending North of $500 for their bottles. It really comes down to knowing what you can and can't afford, making some decisions on others, and for me it balances out. I know I can't have everything and like others aid patience is the key. Trust me on this because I just migrated my 40 breeder into a new 210 gallon that I've been setting up for over 18 months... It is nice, fun, but super bare because the 40 didn't have much in it, right? So the new few frags I added are tiny and need time to mature.

It is difficult but that is how I do it. Note to internet police - no robberies or skulduggery actually took place ;) Robbing Peter is only a figure of speech.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back