Bugs on the reef: Do you think about the worms and insects in your tank?

Do you think about the worms and insects in your tank?

• Yes, I think about both the good and bad ones my tank.

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • I only focus on the good ones in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I only focus on the bad ones in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No, I don’t think about the worms and insects in my tank.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bugs on the reef: Do you think about the worms and insects in your tank?

Whether they are good bugs or bad worms and insects, there are likely bugs or bug-like critters in your tank. Sometimes we put a lot of effort into preventing or getting rid of these things such as flatworms and unwanted nudibranchs. Other times we put our efforts into adding and even breeding them for our systems such as rotifers, copepods, and more. Okay, you may be thinking that several of the creature that have been mentioned aren’t actually bugs, but they may seem like it. For example, copepods are crustaceans that have been referred to as “the insects of the sea”. Whether it is the good ones or bad ones, do you think about the bugs (or bug-like things) in your tank?

Pro Tip: In addition to seeing the good or bad worms and insects on your reef, learn how to recognize their impact such as the marks they may leave on fish and corals or what you may find in your filter materials.

ReefNutrition_Copepods.jpeg

Photo by @Reef Nutrition

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
it's a 50/50, although sometimes i do focus more on the bad, than the good. to my knowledge, i only have bristle worms in my tank and dormant bryopsis(although not a worm/insect). i want to eradicate the bristle worms as i recently got stung by one, removing my GSP island rock from my tank.

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy thinking about the good ones. I like the biodiversity. It has to be better for the ecosystem. I use a microscope every once in a while to see what’s there. I used to not dip corals and buy rubble rock from the LFS to get more diversity. It certainly worked. My previous small tank had all kinds of great hitchhikers. Until I got the bad ones. Had flatworms that multiplied so fast that by the time I tried to really do something about them it was too late. I tried to take care of it naturally but it didn’t work. Now I dip and am much more careful. I have less diversity but I feel a lot more safer that I’m controlling what goes in and just a higher probability that it’s the good ones. I also like bristle worms and asterina. Both that I have are non harmful and are good CUC. There are things that eat them it appears because the quantities are naturally managed.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a microscope and really enjoy looking at the tiny creatures that make up the biome of my tanks. It gives me a little more understanding of how the tanks actually work. For the macro fauna of the tanks, I weigh the good with the bad in my decision to keep them, and don't try to achieve a sterile environment.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no visible signs of pests, however it's something you always keep an eye on. For prevention my system was started by cooking dry rock in bacteria for several months before the build. Only way I could be assured there were no pests being introduced via the rock. Second I dip every coral before placing in the tank. Last, get some active help! Any of the Halichoeres Wrasse' will actively hunt your system for pests. Dipping will help you take care of any active incoming pests, but won't kill the eggs. A good Halichoeres will hunt all day and eventually eradicate them by breaking the cycle. I have a Yellow Corris Wrasse and he hunts all day long. Wouldn't have an SPS reef without one of these types of Wrasse'.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day when you used too get real Tonga or Marshal Island stuff the big draw for me would be those occasional explosions of pods or glass “Crawly things” OR the assorted starfish, weird worms, crazy macro algae et et that would surprise you in reef tanks stocked with real reef rock

Fast Forward to todays venerable and over touted “Wall To Wall SPS Stick tank” and the mountain of threads battling flatworms, spiders or any other aquatic “boogie bugs” and the appeal of biodiversity has been replaced by wanting a “blacklight poster” type alien landscape tank lit by twin class 2 blue dwarf suns and a alien rock scapes replete with a single gravity defying rock surrounded by 2 acres of crystal white sand….

I think those days of a biodiverse tank with interesting micro aquatic bugs are long gone, anymore tanks are more artwork than science project

Last edited:

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my current tank, I bought bristle worms, and added them. I add pods regularly. I feed white worms often, I was feeding black worms to but my culture died.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get rid of any nasty critter that I found in my tank and I try to add more good ones. Until now I managed this quite well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back