Build thread for 80 DBP rimless

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would try a build thread with my latest undertaking. Feedback is appreciated.

Originally this started out as an attempt to place a 60 cube on an oversized stand with the intent to upgrade in the future. I came to the realization that this might be my last foray into the hobby (I know, bite your tongue, you've heard this before blah, blah, blah) so I decided to go with the longer-term goal of a 80 gallon rimless tank (48" X 24" X 16").

I built the stand myself as I typically do as I can't stand (pardon the pun) the kinda cheesy stands I see offered commercially. My wife says if it doesn't look like furniture I can't put it in the house so after about $200 and many hours of labor I can usually produce a passable stand. If the tank isn't too deep I can get away with 3/4" oak plywood with a 3/4" solid oak front and trim it out. I use 2X2s in the corners for a little structural integrity (even though not necessary; I don't biscuit or use other fancy joints, just glue clamped). The bottom is typically using PVC shower pan liner although sometimes I put a 1/4" plywood bottom on it. I've found this to be extremely durable, easy to install and better than Red Guard or other sealers over wood. I typically leave the back unsupported in the middle unless the tank exceeds 4' in length and then I put a removable center section in. I'm somewhat lazy so I use the poly/stain combo products and get a good color and seal after 2 coats. Below is a picture of the current stand, sans aquarium, with the lights:
P1040723.jpg

P1040723.jpg

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights, as you can likely tell, are Ocean Revive. I got a deal on the remote-controlled T247 although I'm fine with the old-fashioned S026 that uses potentiometers for intensity control and requires external timers. I like to tinker so I'm not a fan of the fancy controllers, electronics, etc., although I generally make my living dealing with that sort of thing. But I digress...

I like the OR fixtures because they use 10k and above LEDs. This wasn't always the case; I used to have to "upgrade" the LEDs to my liking. Also, I like the way the LEDs are spread out as they give better coverage than the competing fixtures that cram 55 or so bulbs in the minimum amount of space.

Where's the tank you ask? That is pending. Since I had to go with a RR version, I'm going to have to cut a hole in my stand and live with the vendor's overflow. I prefer an overflow in the back of the tank but for a bunch of different reasons that wasn't possible. If anyone wants bulkheads and an overflow I have one for sale LOL.

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the next logical piece of the puzzle is the sump. When I shut the other tank down, no one would take me up on my offer to sell a 40 breeder cheap. Therefore I'm left with that. Fortunately (or perhaps by subconscious design), the 40 breeder fits nicely under the stand. I thought I'd try making arrangements to include a refugium in this system so I added baffles. Acrylic cut to size and siliconed in with the GE stuff HD and Lowes sells (supposed to bond acrylic to glass) and I ended up with this:
P1040717.jpg

P1040717.jpg

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer I found off of ebay, had to buy it new even though I prefer used (it's a piece of plastic and a pump, after all). Got a good price so no complaints. I would have preferred a bubble blaster or whatever CoralVue is calling their skimmer pumps these days but ended up with an "Aquatrance" skimmer pump (who dreams up these names or what do they smoke at night because I apparently need some of that) instead and the specs looked good. Anyway, it is borderline in my opinion as I favor significantly over-skimming in my tanks but should suffice and gives me an excuse to upgrade in the future. Low and behold an NW-150 or some such nonsense (looks kinda puny compared to what I'm used to but this is only 80 gallons):
P1040718.jpg

P1040718.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else? I like lots of water movement (after all, I'm trying to simulate reef-crest type conditions although I'll never come anywhere close in my aquarium) but don't like to cause too many Sahara-like shifting sands so I thought I'd try these out for size. They seem to be about the right flow rate without overpowering such a shallow tank so I can still have my sand and not bury corals every other time each powerhead blasts full power.
P1040720.jpg

P1040720.jpg

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, for today, the dead LR is cooking. I always start out with Pukani (so nice and light but full of dead sponges, starfish, who knows what else) but put it in a hydrochloric acid bath first (dissolve the outer layer off a bit) followed by a lanthanum chloride treatment to precipitate out the phosphorus. It has worked well for me in the past and minimizes the nuisance algae problems in the beginning. Add a small piece of real LR from the LFS and let it steep for a couple of weeks. Needs a water change as the organic compounds from the LR are coloring the water but it should be ready in about a week:
P1040719.jpg

P1040719.jpg

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people find this interesting / useful / controversial I'll continue to update otherwise I'll get the hint and drop it altogether.

Dave

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 80g shallows are really nice, can't wait to see it up and running.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Dave.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build so far Dave, I find the factory ReefOctopus skimmer pumps to be insanely inefficient.

BTW, I like the shower pan liner ;)

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in watching this progress. I will eventually build one myself and love to see how others do it.

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been my experience as well.
Yeah, I checked a bit. The OTP pumps that they used to put on these skimmers were garbage; I had one of those once. This Aquatrance AQ-2000S on my skimmer claims to pull 25 scfh which, although not as good as a Bubble Blaster 3000 at around 34 scfh, isn't too bad. When I ran it with vinegar it was pretty frothy but time will ultimately tell.

Dave

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Dave,I got your PM the other night sorta looks like that but can't say for sure.I'll get a picture to ya ASAP and I'll be watching this build so don't stop,glad to see you starting back up...:wink:

OP
OP
cee

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Dave,I got your PM the other night sorta looks like that but can't say for sure.I'll get a picture to ya ASAP and I'll be watching this build so don't stop,glad to see you starting back up...:wink:
If it is what I think it is then I'm first in line for a frag!!! It is truly a gem!!! The guy I sold the colony to lost it and I'm not sure yet if my original source still has it (he's gotten into the business end of the hobby).

Dave

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a clause in the forum that states no secret acro deals with out my direct knowledge!

LOL, you guys are killing me!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back