Build Your Dream LFS

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Artisans... they are successful bc they are heavy into servicing Accts with tanks. Their store front is the icing on the cake. Most successful LFSs are 90% service with a boatload of Accts and 10% retail sales floor
thanks, next trip to Cinci will include checking them out.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step one: retire where there is an ocean/beach.
Step two: ensure there is a large reef hobbyist community
Step three: open Corals only shop and only accept corals from hobbyists to trade / sell with the business taking X% and customers making X%. Would keep it small to ensure it doesn't become "work" ;). Probably call it "Consignment Corals"

/end dream

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step three: open Corals only shop and only accept corals from hobbyists to trade / sell with the business taking X% and customers making X%. Would keep it small to ensure it doesn't become "work" ;). Probably call it "Consignment Corals"

Step Three is called CRAIGSLIST

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like skimjim said...recently went back to ny and went to my lfs...been going there for 20 years in three different locations...each one bigger and better...doors locked, they only do maintenance now...i think if you want to buy something you can meet them for an appt....i think if you move somewhere where you can put a building up on your own property next to your house and run the business out of there it will keep costs low enough to manage and not have to work your butt off to break even...i'd love to frequent a store that had whatever equipment i wanted in stock...could see it touch it and have it explained to me by someone who wasnt a minimum wage idiot....that being said...the cost of most of the equipment these days is rediculous so i cant imagine stocking any amount of it and trying to keep prices close enough to online to actually sell it...and what the latest hot setup is changes monthly ....so you wind up with stuff you cant sell cause its "obsolete"....throw in livestock mortality and i dont know how any brick and mortar store survives

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get experienced reefers who frequent the store to help 'mentor' the newbies that buy there. Maybe offer a getting started class once a month where a few experienced reefers teach the basics and answer questions.
Great idea! We used to do this at a dealership I worked at. All customers were invited back to learn how to care for and a “what to do if “ type class. Would be good to do something eeekely or monthly.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Artisans... they are successful bc they are heavy into servicing Accts with tanks. Their store front is the icing on the cake. Most successful LFSs are 90% service with a boatload of Accts and 10% retail sales floor
Designs, builds and servicing is on the list.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on the list is Quality Qt and Treatment. I can not tell you how many times I order a fish or coral online and then pray for the next few days until it arrives hoping to hell it doesn’t die in the next couple days. To be able to walk into a LFS see the fish I’m buying and actually knowing that it will survive for years providing nothing is wrong with my personal water quality. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Also keep in mind my current retirement plan will provide anything I need in retirement. I don’t NEED to turn a massive profit as long as I don’t experience insane loss. The store IS NOT MY RETIREMENT PLAN. This is more of a chance for me to have several tanks (which I completely enjoy) and to help others enjoy their own tanks

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concentrate on smaller numbers of brands that you use, like and would recommend to others. You don't need 50 billion dechlorinators if all you use is prime. This will help because it puts you in the price category of online retailers.

Show what you want to sell. If you want to sell high end reefs, put that in your show room, put that on your social media.dont try to be all things for all people.

Keep your store clean and well lit. I've seen so many stores that are just absolute caves and I hate them.

As others have said, maintenance is a big money maker. You don't have to do it per se but it's a proven business model.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back