Buildapotamus

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking in! It fits in the new place nice! Will hopefully grow it fast.

I agree. I like this shot because the tank/furnishings/layout of the living space is fitted out very well. Nothing looks out of place. :)

DSC_0647_zpsmhlh9dga.jpg

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. No offense to your previous tanks, but this is the first time it fits a room correctly and it looks great!

More pics.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I like this shot because the tank/furnishings/layout of the living space is fitted out very well. Nothing looks out of place. :)

I agree. No offense to your previous tanks, but this is the first time it fits a room correctly and it looks great!

More pics.

Thanks to both of you! I agree, my tanks in the space have always been an afterthought. This time it was something that I planned out from the very beginning.

The tank probably isn't ready for unveiling yet, but some pictures of getting it setup wouldn't hurt, I ran into some stumbling blocks along the way:

First I wanted to build the rock. This is the main piece, and it is drilled to accept frag plugs. However, I jumped the gun and didn't drill enough holes (I underestimated what I was going to keep, so I will be having a sale soon.)

It's hard to show the shapes and dimensions of it via photo, but hopefully the above pictures capture some of it.

Here is is planned out in the space:

Planning out the stand:

I wasn't able to fit everything in or on the stand without some boards to rest on, so I went out and had to get some cheap plywood in a pinch. I primed it with drywall and plaster, and sanded it down and painted it for an industrial look. I know it looks smooth in the photos, but it's very "industrial" looking up close. You can only see the edges up top, so it doesn't matter much:

Time to throw the sump in:

Drilled by yours truly and ready to go:

I'll leave you with this view:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job bro!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, love the aquascape you created

Thank you! That is my favorite part, I don't think I'll ever get it right.

Nice job bro!

Thanks for checking in, Rev. Took longer than I'd like, but now just cleaning and waiting for everything to settle in. Looking forward to showing off some zoas soon!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was heading out the door this morning as the lights were coming on, and saw a snail laying eggs on the glass. I've always seen the eggs, but I've never seen the snail laying them, or the process of them getting onto the glass. I ran to grab my camera and snap just a quick pic, and this is what I ended up with:

The tank is adjusting to being a new tank, and is going through the ugly stages of a fresh tank. Cyano, hair algae, etc.

I added filter socks, and I'm skimming wetter. Trying to do more water changes, but I'm not really keeping anything that's super tough at the moment. Once I do get it under control, I'm wanting to do a tank similar to our member here Jourdy, which I should be careful mentioning, because that will be a tough act to follow.

This picture pretty much sums up the state of the tank currently

But it's not all doom and gloom!

There is still some cool stuff happening!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking through the past threads I've had of all my old zoas and sps, and realized how much I had actually lost... and nearly cried!

This hobby can be devastating! Time to build the collection back up!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking through the past threads I've had of all my old zoas and sps, and realized how much I had actually lost... and nearly cried!

This hobby can be devastating! Time to build the collection back up!
Agreed. I still cringe when I see pictures of my last tank. Everything with the new tank looks great!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife wanted to swap around some furniture, I'm not sure how I feel about the change, but it makes a nice cubby in the corner with the TV, we added a desk, I think if I ever do a tank again (I've got to stop thinking about future tanks and just work with what I've got!) that I would like to do a peninsula, dividing the room, and then a sump area in the basement. If I had the room, I probably would have drilled the overflow onto the side, but oh well.

The filter socks are doing a great job, I bought 15 of them, and my sump takes them in 3's. I can go about a month before I have to do a wash, but I will probably get more just so I can not have to deal with washing every month because I'm lazy. It has really helped clear up the tank, and the skimmer is finally dialed in and seems to be on point, you can make it out underneath pumping some poo!

I figured it was time I inventoried my zoa collection, I broke my old macro lens, so I'm doing the best I can with what I've got, all quick shots, so I apologize if anything is blurry. I need to get some of this stuff sold so I can start buying more goodies, like a new lens, a reef bright, pay this sump off....

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not Zoos or P's, but some of the only other corals in my tank, like a mini GBTA:

3 of the 4 of my plat harem:

Rock nem:

Forest Milli:

Some rainbow birdsnest that I was burning, so it's been moved down, guess the zoos love the 8 bulb ATI, and the SPS is bleaching... it's weird:

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man! Loving all the zoas. How's the tank doing?

Thanks!

It's a love/hate. I've arranged a trade with a local hobbyist to get rid of the right hand side of the tank rock wise. It's a ceramico bonsai structure, and a branching ledge structure. I plan on keeping the right side reserved for the carpet nem, and maybe some wellso's or scollys. I'm starting to get some coraline growth on the bottom of the tank, and it won't be long till it starts on the back wall also. The plan was to only go with "nicer" zoas, but everything that I currently have is from my old collection.

We have done a bit of moving about over the past few years, and I built this tank with moving again in mind. The structure on the left is all one big piece, drilled for plugs. It is my ideal dream to only keep what I've drilled plugs for, and to remove the frag racks. Even my plumbing was setup as to be quickly broken down and set back up again.

I am trading the rock for a nice reactor, with the intention of running bio-pellets. I'm still unsure if I will use it or not. I've always been a huge fan of the K.I.S.S method, and had great sucess with just heavy skimming and water changes. Thanks for checking in!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back