Building a bigger home for my Sharks & Rays

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah great to see that you are posting this on R2R! I commented on your YouTube channel hoping that you would find your way over here!

This content is fantastic. So excited to see where it goes. Judging by the rest of your gallery it should be insane!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome! Following :)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any photos you could post of the project? Or maybe a proposed stocking list? This community gets really into "build threads" that help document along the way. I know your videos have a lot of this content, but you might broaden your audience with something that's easier to read in short snippets.

OP
OP
AquariumDomain

AquariumDomain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah great to see that you are posting this on R2R! I commented on your YouTube channel hoping that you would find your way over here!

This content is fantastic. So excited to see where it goes. Judging by the rest of your gallery it should be insane!
Thanks Chrisv! Yeah your comment on YouTube spurred me along :) R2R is a really nice forum...I have a lot of threads to catch up with.

MeghansReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow OK, I just saw your post on your 600 gallon and now you also have a 1800 gallon! Both of your tanks are really amazing and the fact that you build them yourself is really cool!

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following on YouTube out of a truly "morbid curiosity":p. I think predator bay is a terrible idea and think the filtration is grossly inadequate thus far; not to mention a nightmare to service in its current configuration. I'm staying tuned as this as interesting as watching a car wreck in slow motion. I know how this story ends but going to wait for the video to be posted on YouTube only to glimpse at the mystified expression upon your face; as I know you'll surely post the sad and tragic outcome of your experience....lol!:D

OP
OP
AquariumDomain

AquariumDomain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following on YouTube out of a truly "morbid curiosity":p. I think predator bay is a terrible idea and think the filtration is grossly inadequate thus far; not to mention a nightmare to service in its current configuration. I'm staying tuned as this as interesting as watching a car wreck in slow motion. I know how this story ends but going to wait for the video to be posted on YouTube only to glimpse at the mystified expression upon your face; as I know you'll surely post the sad and tragic outcome of your experience....lol!:D

Wow, what a scary narrative. Hopefully you are incorrect, but either way I promise to make the video and not leave you hanging :)

OP
OP
AquariumDomain

AquariumDomain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill test 2 has completed, big progress coming this weekend. Here is a couple of teaser photos :)

Attachments

•  tankTest1_small.jpg
    tankTest1_small.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 93
  •  tankTest2_small.jpg
    tankTest2_small.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 87
  •  tankTest3_small.jpg
    tankTest3_small.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 76
  •  tankTest4_small.jpg
    tankTest4_small.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 77
  •  tankTest5_small.jpg
    tankTest5_small.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
AquariumDomain

AquariumDomain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrisv made a good point about giving a written overview of the project and stocking ideas for those who just want a quick read and not a video. Also at the end of this post I have included the latest video on the project, part 5 of 6 (so getting really close)

My main philosophy with my fish basement is to keep aquatic ecosystems for the fish that I enjoy and to keep them at a scale that matches the fish. As I love both marine and freshwater, my tanks are split pretty evenly between the two. To give you an idea on scaling the aquatic ecosystem for the fish, I built a 3000 gallon aquarium for my Amazonian Cichlids.

On the marine side I have always had a serious passion for Sharks, Rays, Groupers, large Angelfish & Tangs and Triggerfish. With these fish in mind I built a 600 gallon to keep large Angelfish, Tangs, etc. and Predator Bay my 1800 gallon aquarium for my Sharks and Rays. Stock list for Predator Bay will be small reef sharks (Horn, Bamboo, Cat shark), small Rays (Halleri, Blue Spot), Groupers and probably a Moray Eel.

Here is the progress so far:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved your recent video! Can't wait to see the proposed stocking list. I bet the current horn shark and ray will love the tank.

I guess you probably already moved everybody over by now (that is, I guess the videos are coming out long after the work is done), but if not, have you considered moving the bricks of biological media to the sump of the big fowlr tank to pre-cycle them? I know the fritz 9 will get the cycle off to a good start and your existing rock in the 600 will help a lot, but it's hard to imagine that it would be as complete a microbial ecosystem as you would get from seeding in an established reef.

Looking great!

OP
OP
AquariumDomain

AquariumDomain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved your recent video! Can't wait to see the proposed stocking list. I bet the current horn shark and ray will love the tank.

I guess you probably already moved everybody over by now (that is, I guess the videos are coming out long after the work is done), but if not, have you considered moving the bricks of biological media to the sump of the big fowlr tank to pre-cycle them? I know the fritz 9 will get the cycle off to a good start and your existing rock in the 600 will help a lot, but it's hard to imagine that it would be as complete a microbial ecosystem as you would get from seeding in an established reef.

Looking great!

You are giving away my plot lines from the next video Chrisv LOL :) (JK)
pre-cycle-media.jpg

Between the pre-cycled media, mature live rock and bacteria supplementation I feel good that the tank will stay stable. Of course I will test to make sure. Just waiting on a part for the skimmer and it will be time...everything else is all ready to go! Episode 6 should be a good one.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man found your yt a couple months ago and now just found you're on r2r. your builds are exactly what I want to do in the future and you do it amazingly. that south American tank is stunning.

by far my favorite aquarium related youtube channel and highly recommend it to everyone on r2r

OP
OP
AquariumDomain

AquariumDomain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man found your yt a couple months ago and now just found you're on r2r. your builds are exactly what I want to do in the future and you do it amazingly. that south American tank is stunning.

by far my favorite aquarium related youtube channel and highly recommend it to everyone on r2r
Thanks Dcal, I really appreciate that! I know it has been a long time coming, but I have a huge update on the 3000 gallon Amazon tank in the works....hopefully it will be worth the wait. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back