Building a Frag Tank

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have been wanting to build a dedicated frag tank for a long time. However, I have a few questions and concerns about the process.

Please feel free to point me to any links containing any info that will answer my questions. I have been looking. Having 3 reef tanks already I am familiar with cycling a new tank. My first question is this: Is cycling the tank just as important or necessary for a frag tank? (there will not be any fish, just coral frags in this tank)

Question 2: Is it best practices to keep one or a few fish in the frag tank for nutrient or bio load or can this be done without a fish and just feed the corals using coral food?

Question 3: Does the filtration system need to be the same as my other reef tanks? (protein skimmer, filter socks, sump) or can you use a canister or HOB filter?

Question 4: Can I use some live rock from one of my existing tanks to seed or kick start the cycle in the new frag tank?

Thanks so much for your help and I sincerely hope that you all stay safe and have a wonder Thanksgiving with your family.

God Bless!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I created mine I used live rock to seed it. My current frag tank is a 40B with no filtration. I have fish in it (5) 2 damsels, 2 clowns, and a black capped basslet. I feed the fish 2x per day and the coral get phytoplankton every day and cyclopods. I run wave makers on opposite ends and 1 small maxijet.
20201117_210402.jpg

Just like with reef tanks there are an infinite way of doing things...

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have been wanting to build a dedicated frag tank for a long time. However, I have a few questions and concerns about the process.

Please feel free to point me to any links containing any info that will answer my questions. I have been looking. Having 3 reef tanks already I am familiar with cycling a new tank. My first question is this: Is cycling the tank just as important or necessary for a frag tank? (there will not be any fish, just coral frags in this tank)

Question 2: Is it best practices to keep one or a few fish in the frag tank for nutrient or bio load or can this be done without a fish and just feed the corals using coral food?

Question 3: Does the filtration system need to be the same as my other reef tanks? (protein skimmer, filter socks, sump) or can you use a canister or HOB filter?

Question 4: Can I use some live rock from one of my existing tanks to seed or kick start the cycle in the new frag tank?

Thanks so much for your help and I sincerely hope that you all stay safe and have a wonder Thanksgiving with your family.

God Bless!
Yes cycling is neccesary, and i would generally keep a tang for algae. Personally, i would either build or buy a sump to have the maximun amount of frags. There also more dilution and you run a refuguim which are both great for SPS. I would also throw some live rock from an established tank as well. Cycle time may be shortened if you do this. I aslo wouldnt put sand in a frag system.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back