Building a Large, Modular Calcium Reactor

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acrylic tube is what makes it so expensive. Things have gotten so expensive these days. Same with the nylon screws, 10 years ago they were a dime a dozen, the cheapest I can find 1/4"-20 black nylon screws that are 1.5" is on amazon for $18. It's like playing the stock market.

10 years ago I bought a bunch of john guest fittings for pennies each, these days the stock is higher... hehe.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tubes were 75% of that - the rest not too bad.
There's a place locally that has a surplus of acrylic tubing that they are slowly getting rid of. I just bought 12' of 8" tube for $200, and 12' of 6" for $150 locally. I don't have plans for it yet, but I couldn't pass up the deal...

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a good deal indeed. How will you cut it to length though? I don’t have a good way in my shop to cut large diameter tubing so that the ends are perfectly square. I guess I could have setup a jig on my table saw.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you screw in the John Guest fittings into the holes with the threads tapped into your lids, do you shave off the extra threaded part of the fitting that extends beyond the lid to make it flush with the underside of the lid? If so what do you use to shave the threaded part to make the fitting flush?

I’m thinking about tapping some threads into the lid of my GEO CaRx so I can attach a John Guest elbow in order to move the “effluent out” line from the recirculation loop to the lid, thereby alleviating gas build up on the lid when using a peristaltic pump in the pull configuration.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s taken me some time to get this thing dialed in. My 15 year old regulator had started acting strangely so I bought the carbon doser as a replacement. I think I got my money’s worth out of the Milwaukee unit tho. I have a trident, but I use it to monitor alk/CA only. Goal has been to set the CaRx so that it maintains nominally an alk at 9 dkh.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cut acrylic tube I set up a plywood "V" over my router on a home made router table and then slid the tube over the bit and rotated.. with a cap on one end of the "V" to hold the tube in place (read as push against). has worked wonders for cutting tube.. Sure beat doing it on the table saw... Much too rough a cut on that saw. Making my own skimmer.. Might have to do a CaRx after reading this.. Excellent work!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore I have a question about your gasket material. Did you get this on Amazon too? Is it silicon or standard rubber sheet?

Yes, silicone sheet. Rubber Sheet Warehouse on Amazon.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cut acrylic tube I set up a plywood "V" over my router on a home made router table and then slid the tube over the bit and rotated.. with a cap on one end of the "V" to hold the tube in place (read as push against). has worked wonders for cutting tube.. Sure beat doing it on the table saw... Much too rough a cut on that saw. Making my own skimmer.. Might have to do a CaRx after reading this.. Excellent work!

Coming back around on this because I want to cut some tube. Any chance you have a picture of the sled? Or is it as a simple as it sounds LOL? What bit did you use - upcut spiral? Thanks.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photos, sorry, and yes it is just that simple.. so long as you have a good "V" and can hold the tube in place as you turn it. I actually used a 1/4 inch straight cut bit but like the idea of the spiral bit is better. May have to invest in one if I cut more tubing.. which is in my future. If you put a stop on your router table so nothing slides laterally, you should be good.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go look in my garage and see if I can find the V sled, Wasn't much of a sled as it was a fixed position one once clamped in place. I lowered the tube onto the bit and rotated. Perfect length positioning. Does this help?

Also, if you don't have a table, you can make a jig to hold the router upside down out of a piece of quarter inch acrylic or polycarbonate. Then drop it into a cutout in a 3/4 inch piece of plywood so as to make a fixed table.. I use this for a few years before I made my table. clamps become your friend then.. SLow to set up but always consistant.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great design. I am going to modify my Ca Rx too. I also have the old style HSA skimmer, but such a beast, I love it. Well made stuff stands the test of time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back