building a new cabinet

tanksman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm preparing to build a new stand for my 220 and I noticed on the bottom of the tank at the trim there are two quarter inch step downs it's the way the trim is made around the bottom of the tank and I'm wondering if my main platform that the tank would rest on needs to be routed so the wood would actually touch the glass any ideas

20151018_110531.jpg

20151018_110535.jpg

20151018_110542.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I can see is to wrap the tank with a rabbited piece of wood. Example think of a picture frame. I would also silicone the would to the tank bottom so that I can be removed. I would not us any fastener except silicone. once the wood is where you would like it I would hid any seems with trim molding, and do this with hot glue so that there are no fasteners near that glass. Pre finish all the wood on all sides.

OP
OP
T

tanksman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the great idea I never did get started on that cabinet you know life started happening so I finally am getting around to do it and I haven't been able to find any information on this it looks like that most fish tanks just sit on this plastic molding this tank is a Oceanic 220 and it has plastic wood grain looking trim on the top and the bottom as do most of their tanks and when I look at different stands it seems that the tank is just sitting on this plastic trimming

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build stands. but I can't tell what's going on in your photos.

OP
OP
T

tanksman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build stands. but I can't tell what's going on in your photos.
Well in the photo that's the bottom of the fish tank here I can add some more photos I guess and see if that helps explain it what's going on is the bottom trim of the oceanic fish tank doesn't allow the class bottom to rest on the stand it would actually rest on the rim of the trim if that makes any sense

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK much better! if that's how it came from the manufacturer, then I would assume it's OK to sit on the trim.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the tank have been previously used as well. do you know how it was situated when it was last installed?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back