Building a new QT/ frag tank. Possible?

Chrisqueenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 75G and been toying with the idea of having it as a frag tank/QT tank. Building the stand for it tmw. Just going to set it up in my laundry room for the hec of it. Tank isn't drilled so I have to think of filtration. Any ideas or suggestions? (My first non-drilled tank)

Chris

P.S
How do you post pics on here?

psychofishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics is the same as on Reef central. use the [ IMG ] and [ / IMG ] tags without the spaces.

As far as the tank goes... Overflow boxes? actually drill it yourself?

OP
OP
Chrisqueenz

Chrisqueenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100_1568.jpg

psychofishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a completely off topic questions... How the heck do you get those rocks to stay on top of each other.. it looks like it's BARELY balancing on it? do you glue it?

OP
OP
Chrisqueenz

Chrisqueenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a piece of tonga that is perfectly "Y" shaped that supports it very well on one side

Dont know if you could see the tonga rock that supports on this pic..
000_0056.jpg

psychofishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heh.. I C... neat.

If we ever start a tank again we'll make sure we'll have a more organized structure :-$ our current tank has like 140 pounds of rock jammed on top of eachother without any form or planned aquashaping.. it looked alright.. and most people liked it.. I personally would have loved a real shape more though.

However.. most "shapes" limit your space.. and i did have like 85 zoanthid colonies to place.... Next time i'll probably just stick with the stuff i absolutely can't live without... i'm probably going to stick all those "can't live without" corals in stephens tank.. haha... He must love being a babysitter already.. while his wife's still in labor in the hospital ;)

Stephen.. you rock

Jedi

Jedi on the Run
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awww geeee I feel so loved

Here's to all my Friends..

c69f4652.gif

Minus the Kisses

All Baysitting corals are welcome. Glad people feel safe leaving them with me and the tank.. guess I am doing something right

Jedi

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, I think you'd have to have HOB accessories. If you had a HOB skimmer, possibly refugium (or in tank refuge area) and ran some carbon, you could easily manage that system on water changes alone. Of course for SPS frags you'll need plenty of flow and decent lighting. It sounds cheap -n easy, but It'll add up quick unless you have spare equipment laying around.

I'm going to be setting up an SPS 40G Breeder as a frag tank. I've got a PC/MH fixture. I'm going to plumb it into my main system. Water will be supplied very slowly. I'm going to run carbon on it and change water frequently!

OP
OP
Chrisqueenz

Chrisqueenz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinkin of drilling the tank, but dont know if it will be worth the trouble. The bottom is tempered so I am assuming I would have to drill the sides on that bad boy. The stand is almost done, will post pics when done....

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up my 30 breeder. It's got a stand, but I need to put it up higher so I need to build a stand, stand. Can't wait to fire it up. It needs to be drilled as well. Gonna keep the water shallow and blast it with a 150DE MH and PC's. Also gonna do the gyre type of circulation in it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back