Update with some corals in it. :)

20180220_193833.jpg
Looking good.

Trena Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new (aka totally ignorant about this stuff), but aren't you taking a huge risk putting in all the expensive fish and coral before your tank has had time to cycle? Asking bc we have a new tank, about a week old, and that was the advice we got from everyone and in past when I had a tank as well. What am I missing?

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new (aka totally ignorant about this stuff), but aren't you taking a huge risk putting in all the expensive fish and coral before your tank has had time to cycle? Asking bc we have a new tank, about a week old, and that was the advice we got from everyone and in past when I had a tank as well. What am I missing?

It ain't my first rodeo first of all. I did reef all the way back in 2007 and got out about 2010 so been out almost 10 years. I got all live sand to begin with and all the live rock were existing rocks I bought from other folks and most from my temporary tank that was previously setup for many years from a friend. So everything was all seasoned before they were placed within the tank. Plus weekly water changes and testing. It will go through a cycle yes but I made it out faster as it's got no ammonia, nitrite, and less then 0.5 nitrate.

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...got rid of the thermometer from the main tank and placed a digital one in the sump. Also put a led light bar in the bottom cabinet so I can see what I'm doing underneath. Got some pumps that came in today from Amazon and also loc line with splitter for the return will be here sometime this coming week.

20180223_193742.jpg

Trena Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ain't my first rodeo first of all. I did reef all the way back in 2007 and got out about 2010 so been out almost 10 years. I got all live sand to begin with and all the live rock were existing rocks I bought from other folks and most from my temporary tank that was previously setup for many years from a friend. So everything was all seasoned before they were placed within the tank. Plus weekly water changes and testing. It will go through a cycle yes but I made it out faster as it's got no ammonia, nitrite, and less then 0.5 nitrate.
Gotcha. Well the reason I was wondering, is we are in similar situation. We bought a tank that was in use, got new live sand, new water, kept the live rock with a few Kenya tree corals and coraline algae on it. Got a big Coral Life skimmer (not sure what size) in a 28 gal sump and chaeto algae arrives tomorrow for refugium section. Got a MarineLife BioWheel 350 (only rated to 75 gal but it's just a helper) with 4 filtration pads in it. We've had it up a week. And we got 6 1 inch damsels to help cycle it faster last Saturday. Got zero amm, nitrite, nitrate so far.

Planning on getting friend's 45 gallon tank Saturday (we only want to merge it into our tank, then sell his tank/stand/extra eqt), don't know whether to go ahead and add his rock, fish and corals Saturday to my tank (and to sell back the damsels) or give it another couple weeks to make sure everything stays/gets back in check before moving his stuff to our tank.

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see that to be a problem. And yes I would rid the damsels. But becareful when you move fish as they will be stress enough from the move as it is. If you want to you can move the tank with only existing items and set it back up. Wait for a month or so after everything calms down before you make the full transfer.

Trena Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see that to be a problem. And yes I would rid the damsels. But becareful when you move fish as they will be stress enough from the move as it is. If you want to you can move the tank with only existing items and set it back up. Wait for a month or so after everything calms down before you make the full transfer.
That's what we kind of thought. Set his tank up like he had it, wait a couple more weeks (more if water chemistry dictates), then transfer everything over and sell the extra. Thanks!

OP
OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! It's easier on a fish when moving from one tank to another within the same household. When I used to have problem with fish not getting along I just dip them out to move them into another tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back