Building a sump!

egilmore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to having a sump and am going to attempt to build one this weekend! Thought a thread would be good for information on the process! I'm setting up a 50g 30Lx18wx21h mixed tank and the sump will be a 20L! So my questions are regarding drain and intake size, I'm thinking 1" drain and 3/4 return, best place to drill (bottom is tempered so would either be top back or bottom back of tank)! What would be a good, cheap, return pump, baffles, ect. would like to have a refugium in the sump as well!

Wildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drill the top back. Gives you more room in the tank. Sluf has built some nice overflows. Your drain and return sizes should be fine. You might consider a second emergency drain in the overflow and run your return over the back of the tank. Do a search for bean animal and stockman (I think) drains. You might me pushing it to get a refugium in the sump unless you did an external return pump. I guess it all depends on what layout you go with and if you include any reactors.

OP
OP
E

egilmore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much to consider and so many different opinions that its mind boggling lol I do like the idea of a stockman drain! Thinking maybe 2 drains, refugium on the left, skimmer on the right and return in the middle! just have to figure if is 30" will be enough room! worried I might be pushing it with a ref though!

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have the option of a remotely located sump, rather than just under the tank?

I have a refugium in my system. It's about half of a 55g aquarium. Other than adding water volume, I don't think it does much of anything to me. I cant even grow chaeto in it for some reason. However, adding volume is good for water chemistry stability.

As for size of inlet and outlet...you may want to consider how much flow you want through it. For the typical rates through one, I think your sizes will work fine though. The more difficult part is working your plumbing so that it flows right, and is fail proof in the event of power outages, blockages, etc.

OP
OP
E

egilmore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have one remotely located but would rather have it under the tank just for saving space really! As for a refugium I just wanted it to help with phosphates and nitrates, seems I always have an algae problem for some reason and was hoping it would help with that! And yes the plumbing is whats scaring me the most lol I get absolutely lost when it comes to plumbing!

SLUF681

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" drain and 1/2" return. That's what I suggest. A 3/4" drain on that size tank is too big. You'll benefit from the increased velocity of the 1/2" return as opposed to the 3/4". I'm assuming that you're not gonna be running some insanely high volume return pump. Also, there's less head pressure with 1/2" as opposed to 3/4".

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a sump out of a 15 long for my 29 display. I used an overflow bow that has 1 inch drain and a mag 5 with a 1/2 inch line. My Utube outflow is setup for 3/4 in line so after my inline hydro heater I have a 1/2 in to 3/4 in barb adapter. Drilled a siphon break in my outflow and with the overflow set where it is I can put twelve gallons in my sump without it flooding when the power goes out.

Some pics of how I built it.

20130501_202935.jpg

Third baffle in the bubble trap was not put in yet so I could remove the wood blocks supporting the middle one.

20130426_092851.jpg

20130426_092916.jpg

Had the baffles cut at Lowes and used Marineland silicone cured for 48 hours.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eddie.....Left ya a phone mesage...call me...Buddy :bigsmile:

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got Eddie hooked up with a 35gal. sump/refugium,let him look at how I have mine all plumbed,hope this helps him out. :nod:

OP
OP
E

egilmore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I'm still going to drill! I'm to cheap to buy an overflow box haha so now I just have to get a pump, in sump skimmer, drill it and im good to go! :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back