Building A Tank... Hopefully

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to build a tank. I’ve never built one before but it looks to be much cheaper then buying one and you get the perks of customization. Is it difficult to do? Is it safe? I’d like to build a glass aquarium with the dimensions below...

Length: 47”
Width: 16”
Height: 15”

I obviously wouldn’t keep it filled to the top so I’d leave around an inch of space between the waterline and brim leaving a rounded 46 gallons of water. I know that shallow tanks are less likely to crack or separate because the weight of water pushing on the sides is much more distributed, is this true?
Also, do tank builders only use silicone to hold together these tanks? Or is there like a resin dip or something further strengthening the tank? I surely don’t want this tank to fall apart.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Aquarium water volume calculator on Marine Depot's website, your dimensions come out to be roughly 49 gallons.

I think it would be cheaper to buy a tank from Pet Smart 1 dollar per gallon sale.

Taking into consideration the cost of glass, the silicon and the labor, it's probably better to buy one already made.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left an inch of space between the waterline and the brim of the tank, each inch of the tank is around three gallons. I would buy a tank at the dollar gallon sales but they don’t have shallow tanks with the size I want. I’m wanting to put a large mangrove in the tank so I want it as shallow as possible.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to cut corners, thats why I’m posting about it. I wanna know how to do the best job possible, but I haven’t found a lot of resources on tank building. I want to have a large mangrove in it and that’s why I’m wanting to do a custom shallow tank so I can fit the tank to my needs instead of looking for a nice shallow for ages

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to cut corners, thats why I’m posting about it. I wanna know how to do the best job possible, but I haven’t found a lot of resources on tank building. I want to have a large mangrove in it and that’s why I’m wanting to do a custom shallow tank so I can fit the tank to my needs instead of looking for a nice shallow for ages
It’s not a large tank I suspect you can get away with 6mm glass. Best clarity is to use Low iron opti glass and if your concerned use tempered. Low iron opti has a cleaner opaque appearance whereas standard glass visually is a green tinge.

Make sure the glass edges are polished and I would use black silicon. Needs to be the right type - plenty of choices about - just google.

For that size tank I don’t think you need top bracing and 1mm silicon should be more than ad

if you were building say 6 x 2 x 2 - about 150g I would use 12mm glass and too brace. I’m just scoping a 1800g up and over the door tank. Will be using 25mm tempered for the base and 19mm tempered low iron opti for the walls. 25mm top bracing, with 2.5mm silicon joints.

Be warned I might sound like I know what I’m talking about.... have done plenty of research and it isn’t really too difficult. Ive not built a tank before though.... but that doesn’t worry me just finished a self build - my weekend project which took me 7 years. That’s where my tank is going.

Good luck. What’s the worst that can happen. Have a go.

rq786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you put the correct side of the glass outside
one side of the glass has tin, the tin side must be outside or dry side of the aquarium

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to build a tank. I’ve never built one before but it looks to be much cheaper then buying one and you get the perks of customization. Is it difficult to do? Is it safe? I’d like to build a glass aquarium with the dimensions below...

I obviously wouldn’t keep it filled to the top so I’d leave around an inch of space between the waterline and brim leaving a rounded 46 gallons of water. I know that shallow tanks are less likely to crack or separate because the weight of water pushing on the sides is much more distributed, is this true?
Also, do tank builders only use silicone to hold together these tanks? Or is there like a resin dip or something further strengthening the tank? I surely don’t want this tank to fall apart.
Posted a utube of quick small tank build for you my previous earlier post. But this one in the other end of the spectrum for a beast of a tank. Happy tanking.

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or you can go with the injection method. Please note the emphasis here is on ‘the injection method’..... the spacers talked about in the custom build are basically small silicon rubber self adhesive spots. They come in different thicknesses are are readily available. For a thick walled tank they can be left in situ, but not so for 6mm build.

Hope that’s of help.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you put the correct side of the glass outside
one side of the glass has tin, the tin side must be outside or dry side of the aquarium
Correctly manufactured and inspected glass does not have tin on it. There is a small difference between the "air" side and the "tin" side as the tin side floats on a bed of molten tin when the glass is made. I don't know if the extremely small difference makes a difference to an aquarium but the glass definitely should not have tin on it. Nobody would buy it if it did.

Dennis

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correctly manufactured and inspected glass does not have tin on it. There is a small difference between the "air" side and the "tin" side as the tin side floats on a bed of molten tin when the glass is made. I don't know if the extremely small difference makes a difference to an aquarium but the glass definitely should not have tin on it. Nobody would buy it if it did.

Dennis
There’s probably trace amounts but it’s not likely to adhere. But perhaps a safe precaution. Could just as easily be cleaned before build I suspect. There is a way of telling the Tin side with UV or water drop test. A tight or loose spread of water will tell you which side is Tin. Can’t recall which is which immediately. The difference in dispersal could account for a difference in smoothness of finish Tin side against air side..... but what made me a bit unsure was the fact it shows on UV which would suggest some adherence (unless it’s surface and can be cleaned) ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back