Building custom Triton + H380 sump, best dimensions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jcl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I see all sorts of configurations with the Kessil H380 in so far as the height above the water and thus the area it would illuminate. I want to build a sump to ideally suit this light.

Here is my current design concept:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19yWKqF77hbBL9T9PpBwks1LUByFuvusm

- As in my diagram, I currently have an 18" diameter area under the light, but I don't know at what height the H380 will ideally work at, have not seen any info on the angle of the spread.
- I see these used at anywhere between 7" and 24"
- I chose 18" diameter chamber because that is about the biggest I can fit under my stand area, but if I could get away with 12" - 15" that would give me more room for other things.
- If 18" is too small and I need to go larger, I will have to change the design.

- Not sure about water height, seems somewhere around 12" is good, I am sure more does not hurt anything. I will maximize volume as much as I can.

Any suggestions from BRS based on their extensive tests of this light would be appreciated.

-JCL

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @jcl123 once you add all the elements together I think you’ll get a better visual as to what works for your setup.. may I ask more questions on your tank setup?
Size of tank volume?
Why the 2 refugiums?
What are you goals?

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jcl123 I'm going to see if I can get some of the numbers on PAR distribution for you. What I will say is that my observations have been that the massive power from the H380 tends to cause photosaturation/photoinhibition when they are mounted much closer than about 10" or so, but really only for the topmost later of algae. If you have the light mounted 10-12" off the water, you'll likely be fine, and get plenty of PAR/PUR, but the spread of the optics will likely give you greater than 18" of coverage. Do you plan to have smoked/blacked out panels for the fuge areas? If not, you'll likely see a lot of algae growth spilling into other compartments.

I'm going to speak with some of the other guys here who've looked at the numbers we collected and get you a little more detailed answer in the next day or so.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back