Building my own reflectors need advise.

firefightered

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
Messages
380
Reaction score
1
Location
Russellville, Al
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build my own reflectors for my t-5/LED retro project. I like to build my own stuff it's just a thing I like to do... I have a 36" reefbrite 50/50 strip that I want to retro a single t-5 10k light on both sides of the strip. I have a bunch of roof flashing in my shop I want to polish up and use as individual reflectors. What angle should I bend them and what is the best way to polish the flashing? I like to save $$$$ where I can so I can buy more live stock..........:tongue:
 
"Mothers mag an aluminum polish"

Buying the proper reflectors is best and there are many bends to
get the light focused down (mine are bent about every 1/8 inch.

If you have access to a brake you could probably go about every 1/4 inch.

Stand over the reflector and look down at it with a t5 bulb in your hand by moving
it up and down you will find the spot that focuses the light downwards the most.
That will be your focal point. Also my reflectors are about 1" deep but about 2.5 wide
at the reflector part (They put an extra bend in them to stiffen them on the outer edges.
 
Thanks Harry. I have all the tools to do just about anything I want. I even have a polishing wheel I use to polish my hand turned wood bowls. I just like a little challange. I just did know what angle the reflectors needed to be bent. I'll try tripolee first and if that does not work I'll try the mothers. Thanks again for the reply. Any other ideas? Anyone do this with success? or faliures?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new