Building Reef Rock Structure

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting my reef over and one of the big things I want to do this time is build the structure I want ahead of time. I am thinking of using the cement mixture I won at the meeting where we had learned how to do this.

Has anyone used the cement from this meeting to make their reef structure? Do I just mix all the cement with all the water? I do not quite recall the proper procedure. I would like to mix in small batches so I can make the connections one at a time and use books etc to hold things up. If anyone has any links that show the procedure I would appreciate it! Thanks everyone

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used hydraulic cement to make my structures all I did is mix it thick and mold it around the pieces you want it dries pretty fast Then I let it clean out in ro water for a while after it set up good
image.jpg

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mixed up as much as I needed for a particular joint. It helps the cement sick better if you use a spray bottle to wet the rock with water before you apply the cement. I would also spray it a little after I applied it also to help it melt in a little better, just don't spray too much.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! What's ratio water to cement ?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cement should have come with a milky looking liquid if it's the same type I used. I got mine from Marco rocks. I didn't premesure or anything, I just added the liquid until I got the consistency I wanted.

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mine thick so I could mold it in shapes that I wanted It seemed easier to mix a little wetter than I wanted then add more powder but I also just used hydraulic cement from hardware store Don't forget latex or similar gloves it makes way easier clean up

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the liquid and the powder so good to go! Thanks guys!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back