Building Refugium 2.0

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I have had macro algae and a heavy amount of pods I’m looking to rebuild it. The question I have are for the macro algae if I use chaeto where should I put it/flow and how much light does it need.

For the pods how many jars should I get for a 90 gallon and how will I know when I’m ready for possible mandarin or leopard wrasse even though I probably won’t get a leopard.

Brs said two things that I have questions on from there videos first being when they were talking about macro algae they were saying how can pull out nutrients and important supplements in the water.
And for the pods they were saying, does phyto daily. I’m worried that would raise my nitrates and phosphates.

Any advice helps please let me know if you have any experience with success or problems.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a good quality light, light it for as long as you want, and place it in the sump after the skimmer if you have a skimmer. I also recommend trace element supplementation.

Just one jar of pods is fine as they will populate the tank shortly. You don't need to dose phyto daily, but you can. It shouldn't raise nitrate and phosphate unless there is excess "fertilizer" left in the phyto.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back