Building stand for 40g breeder

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! After a whirlwind of obstacles and research and I have decided to build a steel stand frame for a 40 gallon breeder tank. I am wondering which of the 2 options would be best from the following choices A) 1.5” x 0.120” wall, square tube or B)1.5” x 0.095” wall, square tube. Wondering if this is enough or overkill? Open to all suggestions! :) Thanks

JThw8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously the 0.120 wall will be stronger but I believe either should be sufficient to support the weight if the stand is designed and braced properly. Hard to say what is enough or what is overkill without knowing exactly how its to be designed and built but the fact that you want to undertake steel leads me to believe you have some knowledge of how to properly build and brace with it so you should be good to go with either.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overkill...but overkill isnt necessarily a bad thing....my 20 year old 40 breeder stand is 1 1/4 angle iron...think it came from petco....nascar roll cages are 095 wall...bulletproof and easy to weld...

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
half the battle is your skill as a welder and what type of welder you plan to use...heavier materials can be more forgiving....you have to get adequate penetration without burning holes through the material...if a pro is putting it together for you this is a non issue

lagoon360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
half the battle is your skill as a welder and what type of welder you plan to use...heavier materials can be more forgiving....you have to get adequate penetration without burning holes through the material...if a pro is putting it together for you this is a non issue
Exactly what I was thinking. OP, will the stand be welded or mechanical connections?

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I was thinking. OP, will the stand be welded or mechanical connections?

I think I should be good what y’all think ?

9BE67A37-6B4D-4F4B-8F1C-B1B9803307BD.png 1A3AC146-6997-4ADB-86F6-23DC678FF4DD.jpeg

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah you have a mig...so structurally you could make it out of something thinner but the heavier it is lots more of it can rust away before you have problems

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back