Building stand on floor that isn’t 100% level

whyoming.white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of planning a stand for my new 120 build. My question is what do you do if the floor where you are constructing your stand isn’t 100% level? I will either be building it in my basement(slightly pitched floor for drainage) or my garage(old concrete floor).

Just not sure on the best way to go about this. Last stand I built in the garage and it was a ***** to get leveled in the room I placed the tank

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are building the stand yourself, you can account for it in the design. If not, you can shim the front and it shouldn’t be all that hard to do.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do all my building in the basement. I use a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood as a work surface so that at least it is flat, if not level. Then make your cuts square and use a good framing square and level and you will be fine. The most important thing to remember is that the chances of it being flat and level where you are going to place it are basically zero, so you'll be shimming the bottom anyway. Make the top surface flat and planar and go from there.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm a contractor/carpenter myself, most every floor is not perfectly level, and some are downright horrible.

Build stand correct, shim to fit, even if you've gotta rip a 2x to make a large shim/wedge to correct what's going on.

In worst case situations like a beat up concrete floor or stone floor I have actually formed a shallow concrete pad on thick plastic(To make removable), but that was an extreme case

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of planning a stand for my new 120 build. My question is what do you do if the floor where you are constructing your stand isn’t 100% level? I will either be building it in my basement(slightly pitched floor for drainage) or my garage(old concrete floor).

Just not sure on the best way to go about this. Last stand I built in the garage and it was a ***** to get leveled in the room I placed the tank
I agree with all of the advice above. Another option that you can use for more minor adjustments is a foam pad under the tank. I've used a cheap one from HD before, but I know there's an aquarium specific one that Marine Depot and BRS sell. The foam helps to even the pressure on the tank so that you don't have any "hot spots" that could possibly lead to a leak.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say you have a 6ft long tank. Get a 6ft level and lay it on the floor where the tank will go. Lift one end to where it becomes level, and measure the gap you have. That's how much taller one side of the stand will have to be. You also can buy leveling feet that will allow you to make the stand square, but adjust the height to make it level.
upload_2018-9-20_20-40-54.png

-Aquaman-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My floor is so unlevel it's crazy. The left side of my tank is around 2" off the floor while the right side is hardly off the floor. But on the side that's so high off the floor I used these and they work amazingly well and have held very well
Screenshot_20190522-182551_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

-Aquaman-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use shims instead. Those will put all the weight of the tank on four points instead of balancing it out over the whole stand. Unless u have a concrete floor then ur good
The problem he may have with shims because I did was i had to use so many they slipped out over time with kids running around the house and what not. These work perfect i just use 2 on each corner

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem he may have with shims because I did was i had to use so many they slipped out over time with kids running around the house and what not. These work perfect i just use 2 on each corner

How do they slip out with that much weight on them!?!? If they're slipping out, they must not be in the place they need to be!

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so OP says he is building it in the basement not setting it up in the basement. Your going to want to start with a level work surface so personally I would build the bottom base first, make sure it's square by measuring corner to corner (if your cuts are even the measurements should match) and then lay it on the floor and level it with either shims screwed on or adjustable feet (if you shims the screws will hold then in place and be removable if you use the feet I would only use them for construction, if you have a basement I'm pretty sure you don't have a concrete slab if your lighting it anywhere other than the basement). One the lower base is level everything going up can be constructed as if you were on a level floor.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of using the hydro level concrete and make a 1" thick platform. I'm sure someone can link it to you. Its like apoxy you mix and it self levels in the fram mold you make.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably the OP built his stand already :D. I always build my stands square and flat, and then shim to the flaws in the floor. For large gaps, I rip wooden strips; for small ones I use composite shims.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use shims instead. Those will put all the weight of the tank on four points instead of balancing it out over the whole stand. Unless u have a concrete floor then ur good
So your saying even after I've done a normal shim on concrete floor, it won't matter if I see gaps of light between the bottom of the stand and the floor in some areas?

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of using the hydro level concrete and make a 1" thick platform. I'm sure someone can link it to you. Its like apoxy you mix and it self levels in the fram mold you make.

Quick 2x4 or 2x2 frame, set on floor or on mat, fill with loose/wet concrete, will self level. Keep wet towel on it for 2 days as it cures to prevent shrinkage and movement, after it sets up. Make sure plastic on wood frame edges to prevent moisture uptake.

My 8' setup in the basement has a shim every 12". Flush on the right side, 1" off the floor on the left. Gaps are okay, you do not need to support 100% of the stand.
Corners and evenly space through the center.

Wood frame would just be a quick sturdy frame for the base, set on floor, use a level and mark level lines on the wood frame, cut frame to level. Couple dabs of caulk or liquid nails to keep her from wiggling out of place over time.

I went with wood shims for a temp setup. I know in the future I will be redoing that corner in the basement and didn't want anything permanent right now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back