Built a reef tracker I've used for 2 years - 5 min setup, no experience needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter OliverH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

OliverH

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2023
Messages
65
Reaction score
32
Location
Boston
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
r2r.jpg

Hey,
Sharing a Notion template I built for reef tracking. Even if you've never used Notion, it's pretty straightforward - takes about 3-5 minutes to get going.

I've been using this for my own reef for about 2 years now. Made it because my data was a mess - test results scribbled in notebooks, livestock photos scattered in my camera roll with zero organization, and Excel sheets I'd never open on my phone. This just keeps everything in one place that works on mobile.

Seems to be the first reef-specific template on Notion's marketplace, which is kind of surprising. Plenty of productivity templates, but nothing for reefs.

Link: https://www.notion.so/marketplace/templates/reef-journal

What's in it:
  • Water parameters tracking (alk, ca, mg, no3, po4, temp, salinity, pH)
  • Livestock database with photos and health tracking
  • One-click logging - hit a button, enter your numbers, done

The main reason I like it is I can test at the tank, pull out my phone, tap the button, type in the numbers, and I'm done in 30 seconds. I left example data in there so you can see how it works, then just delete it and add your own.


Free to use. Let me know if you try it and something's confusing.
 
Hi, followed your link, logged in, searched and found reef journal but couldn't get it to open.
 
Hi, followed your link, logged in, searched and found reef journal but couldn't get it to open.
Screenshot 2025-10-25 at 23.30.22.png

Thanks for checking it out!

When you click the link, there should be a "Duplicate" button in the top right. That copies it to your workspace.

If you're not seeing that button, try clicking the blue "Add" button on the left side - that does the same thing.

If neither works, send me a screenshot of what you're seeing and I'll help you troubleshoot!
 
Glad I decided do a quick search for a tracker here. I was creating a google sheet, and decided there had to be a better way. Took a second to figure out how to get it to copy, but am excited to start using it!

Thank you.

Hi, followed your link, logged in, searched and found reef journal but couldn't get it to open.
If you are like me, I had to create a new account, and at first the button would only say "preview"

I had to close the tab, log in again, and then it brought up the Add button.
 
Glad I decided do a quick search for a tracker here. I was creating a google sheet, and decided there had to be a better way. Took a second to figure out how to get it to copy, but am excited to start using it!

Thank you.


If you are like me, I had to create a new account, and at first the button would only say "preview"

I had to close the tab, log in again, and then it brought up the Add button.
Awesome! Glad you found it and got it working. Hope it saves you time compared to spreadsheets.

Let me know if you run into any questions or have suggestions for improvements!
 
Glad I decided do a quick search for a tracker here. I was creating a google sheet, and decided there had to be a better way. Took a second to figure out how to get it to copy, but am excited to start using it!

Thank you.


If you are like me, I had to create a new account, and at first the button would only say "preview"

I had to close the tab, log in again, and then it brought up the Add button.
Awesome! Glad you found it and got it working. Hope it saves you time compared to spreadsheets.

Let me know if you run into any questions or have suggestions for improvements!
I’m new to this app, but it’s interesting. I am thinking about other data I may want to see, but I’ll have to learn more about the capabilities of notion first.

I have been wanting a way to track corals and fish names, their sources, and growth with pics for awhile. I’m pretty pleased!
 
I’m new to this app, but it’s interesting. I am thinking about other data I may want to see, but I’ll have to learn more about the capabilities of notion first.

I have been wanting a way to track corals and fish names, their sources, and growth with pics for awhile. I’m pretty pleased!
That's great to hear!

The cool thing about Notion is it's basically like Google Docs, spreadsheets, and a project tracker all in one—fully customizable. The template is just a starting point. You can add new properties to track whatever matters for your tank, create different views, or tweak the structure however you want.

The learning curve is worth it. When you know your way around, you can use Notion for pretty much anything—work projects, personal planning, whatever.

If you think of data you'd like to track and aren't sure how to add it, feel free to ask. Always curious what people want to see!
 
Just downloaded the app to check it out. Looks super clean and excited to try it out!
 
Can someone clarify how to add a second page for another tank’s details and also how to add to another date with info for a particular tank?
 
Can someone clarify how to add a second page for another tank’s details and also how to add to another date with info for a particular tank?
Good question!

I kept this version simple on purpose so you can start using it right away. Right now it's built for single-tank tracking. If you want to track multiple tanks, just duplicate the whole template page for each tank and rename them (like "Tank 1", "Tank 2", etc.)—that's the easiest workaround.

This version covers all the basics you need for single-tank tracking. I'm building a more advanced version with multi-tank support and additional features for serious reefers—coming later.

For different dates, just add a new entry in the Parameters table (click "New")—each entry has its own date.

Let me know if that makes sense!
 
Good question!

I kept this version simple on purpose so you can start using it right away. Right now it's built for single-tank tracking. If you want to track multiple tanks, just duplicate the whole template page for each tank and rename them (like "Tank 1", "Tank 2", etc.)—that's the easiest workaround.

This version covers all the basics you need for single-tank tracking. I'm building a more advanced version with multi-tank support and additional features for serious reefers—coming later.

For different dates, just add a new entry in the Parameters table (click "New")—each entry has its own date.

Let me know if that makes sense!
Thank you, that is helpful.
 
I cannot locate the duplicate button, I am trying to access from a windows 11 computer
 
I cannot locate the duplicate button, I am trying to access from a windows 11 computer
The steps depend on what you're trying to do:

If this is your first time getting the template from the marketplace:
- Open the marketplace link (https://www.notion.so/marketplace/templates/reef-journal)
- Log in to your Notion account if you haven't already
- Once logged in, you should see a button like "Get template" or "Use this template" or just "Add"
- Click that to add it to your workspace

If you already have the template and want to make a copy for a second tank:
- Go to the template page in your workspace (not the marketplace link)
- Click the "..." menu (three dots) at the top right
- Select "Duplicate"
- Rename it (like "Tank 2")

Let me know if you're stuck at either step and I can help troubleshoot!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new