• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Bulk Reef Supply

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The community allowed itself to become corporatized. Can't blame anyone other than those who wanted convenience & lower prices.
There isn't really an allow, it's inevitable, if there is profit to be had and a high enough volume even with the slimest margins. This is the economic system we got, and it sucks.

OP
OP
Caliginosity

Caliginosity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL the other factor is that there is a shortage of everything these days. You know the ongoing excuse from covid of supply chain issues and labor shortages. It could well be BRS managed to snag up whatever limited stock was available on the market for now. Like someone else mentioned I often go to BRS (or elsewhere) these days and stuff is out of stock. That and inflation are just reality 2023.
I agree with most of that, but BRS is creating a monopoly. They've bought out a bunch of online competitors already, and I'm just assuming here, but I think their end goal is to become an Amazon of saltwater dry goods, and maybe even beyond those products. LFS owners used to be able to $20 for next day shipping, now it's $60 for two to three day. Corporate bullying has made this hobby less affordable and even less enjoyable for people like me who don't have a lot of money to throw around. It's just a little disheartening to me.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of that, but BRS is creating a monopoly. They've bought out a bunch of online competitors already, and I'm just assuming here, but I think their end goal is to become an Amazon of saltwater dry goods, and maybe even beyond those products. LFS owners used to be able to $20 for next day shipping, now it's $60 for two to three day. Corporate bullying has made this hobby less affordable and even less enjoyable for people like me who don't have a lot of money to throw around. It's just a little disheartening to me.
On the one hand I would not be surprised cause they are a business and Amazon is super successful. On the other hand yeah, it sucks and I’m not a fan.

Also a little tired of people who pop on threads like this and say “it’s the free market mate!” Because there are no alternatives currently. Free market means that competition can keep prices low or drive them up. Without any real competitors, BRS will be able to do what it wants until someone with the funds comes and challenges them.

The beauty of the free market is if you don’t like one company, find another. And if you can’t find another, start your own. Except in this case while I would love to, I don’t have that kind of money and we end up back at square one :face-with-tears-of-joy:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is silly. BRS probably just has a deeper stockpile than others so they haven’t ran out yet.

Here ya go:

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't fathom that some people are just now noticing corporate monopoly.. It's ok until it affects you.
Season 2 Halloween GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand this. BRS (or any other retailer) is buying what they can sell. If your LFS can’t get test kits then wouldn’t you look at the supply issue from the company rather than a retailer? Why would a retailer buy more than they can sell of something with an expiration date? Some reefer somewhere is buying it because they think it is more convenient to get delivery rather than drive to their LFS for anything other than fish or coral.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re allowed to review a company but you’re not allowed to call names and to speculate with gas lighting comments. This thread is moved to vendor feedback with an edited title. We try not be a Wild West bunch like Facebook. Thanks.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement not plausible. One vendor can't corner the market. I call BULL
Actually very possible In a market this small, especially when you already have immense buying power and supply is limited to begin with.

Secondly, most corner plays are leveraged by one player.

Is that the case here? Who knows and I personally doubt it, but it is far from impossible.

Your just being cantankerous for effect.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes:
  • This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer, and/or dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community. In the case of a vendor, buyer or seller feedback thread the posting of emails, text messages and private messages are allowed as long as ALL personal info (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.) have been removed.
  • Feedback threads about specific vendors, companies and products are allowed as outlined by the TOS. But targeting a specific vendor, company or product in a general discussion where multiple members post dislikes, issues and harsh verbiage is not permitted and will be edited accordingly. Thread titles that are deemed to be overly harsh or inviting a dog pile mentality will be edited to conform to R2R’s guidelines and culture. Our aim is for R2R to be a friendly and welcoming culture for all. Using R2R as a vehicle to air grievances, feed a mob mentality or to cause general negative discourse is prohibited. R2R reserves the right to remove any thread, post, review, feedback, image etc. that might be considered a libelous statement against another member or company. When leaving a review please keep to the facts and avoid speculation and ranting. Our community forum is not a platform to resolves disputes or host rants. Reviews and feedback that do not adhere to these guidelines will be removed.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I half agree with the op, buddy of mine that is the manager of my lfs showed me their brs login and prices compared to other wholesalers. BRS is cornering the market on reefing and their wholesale prices allow very little room for profit. For instance I just had them order a fiji roller mat and their profit was less than $10! Plus hearing more and more of junk apexes being sold since they bought the company. You would think with the massive amount of complaints about mobius on here and with their presence they might actually try and do something to fix the issues. Imo they are slowly monopolizing the reefing hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back