Bulk Sodium Bicarbonate

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2018
Messages
2,822
Reaction score
30,482
Location
Edgewater,Md
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for food grade bulk sodium bicarbonate. $180 for a 5 gal bucket from BRS seems a little over priced.
 
Food grade sodium bicarbonate is just as good.
Thanks Randy! I use to use Arm n Hammer but it left a black scum ring around the bucket. My research led me to believe it was aluminum oxidation of some kind! Any idea if that's a thing?
 
Thanks Randy! I use to use Arm n Hammer but it left a black scum ring around the bucket. My research led me to believe it was aluminum oxidation of some kind! Any idea if that's a thing?

Unless it was an aluminum bucket, the person or AI hypothesizing that may have confused baking soda (aluminum generally is not any concern) with baking powder (has aluminum).

Was it Arm and Hammer food grade baking soda? Pharma grade is not particularly different than food grade in the specifications.

A black scum ring certainly sounds bad. I've not heard of anyone getting that. But I can't see a reason to think it is aluminum unless it was an aluminum bucket. The type of aluminum impurity in a chemical like sodium bicarbonate is always colorless. It is only aluminum metal that can discolor.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new