Bulkhead install

  • Thread starter Thread starter cec009
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cec009

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2022
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Does it matter which way the male and female parts in the picture goes?
Its for my return line. Both sides have gaskets and the threading will be wrapped.

I had assumed it would be better to have the male part on the outside of the display tank and the female inside the display tank.
This way the return water would first go through the male portion and then into the female portion making it less likely for the water to travel on the threads and leak.

Thanks,

PXL_20220927_150738738.jpg
 
Never seen a bulkhead like that. Interesting.
If they both have a gasket, I guess it doesn't matter.
Also, don't bother using tape. Use thread sealant instead. Lots of people use the Oatey Great White pipe joint compound. Available at local hardware stores.
 
Never seen a bulkhead like that. Interesting.
If they both have a gasket, I guess it doesn't matter.
Also, don't bother using tape. Use thread sealant instead. Lots of people use the Oatey Great White pipe joint compound. Available at local hardware stores.

I got a used CAD Lights tank and these are what it came with. I was going to use Oatey plumber's tape on the threads. Why do you recommend the joint compound over the tape? And if I do use the joint compound would I be able to remove the two pieces once threaded together with the compound? Thanks!
 
Yes, you can undo the pipes if you use the sealant. It's not a glue. In fact, I just replaced my return pump that had the sealant on it without any issues.
In regards to the tape, here's an expert from a plumbing site:
"When PTFE tape is wrapped around plastic male threads, it packs the threads, increases the pipe diameter, prevents the pipe threads from meshing properly, and adds strain and tensile stress."
 
Yes, you can undo the pipes if you use the sealant. It's not a glue. In fact, I just replaced my return pump that had the sealant on it without any issues.
In regards to the tape, here's an expert from a plumbing site:
"When PTFE tape is wrapped around plastic male threads, it packs the threads, increases the pipe diameter, prevents the pipe threads from meshing properly, and adds strain and tensile stress."

Ok thank you for your help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new