Bulkhead leaks

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like said above I would not try this. Best to drain, clean the bulkhead and glass very good then snug down. If this doesn’t help then replace the gasket.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I put in new bulkheads ( when everything is completely dry and clean) I always add a bead of silicone around the base of the fitting so that when you put it in the hole, the silicone completely fills the space and a small amount squeezes out on the nut side.
Tighten finger tight ( just as absolutely tight as you can with your fingers) and go about a 1/4 turn with a wrench.
I've always left it completely untouched for atleast 24 hours, but I've seen others recommend as much as 48 hours.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, and sorry for any confusion. No leaks! Nothing plumbed, I’m just planning ahead and thinking of little details (my first DIY plumbing to a sump).

I’ve been watching every video I can find (any suggestions on good educational videos is appreciated); one of them suggested the use of sealant at bulkheads. I never heard before, so I wanted “real world” opinions.

I am probably way overthinking it. Ok, I’m nervous, I don’t want a flood in the living room floor! LOL. But seriously, first time cutting, gluing, and plumbing with pvc. Just want to do it right the first time (hopefully).

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that the direction of the bulkhead doesn’t matter. The gasket always goes on the flange side before the bulkhead gets installed. Putting the gasket on the nut side is not going to seal properly. And like was mentioned above 1/4 turn past hand tight should be enough. Good luck.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you under tighten your bulkhead, the leak will be incredibly slow- think of water beading from it pretty slowly. You're not going to experience some moses and the red sea kind of water leakage if it's a tad loose. Properly tightened, the vast majority work the first time, but your worst case scenario isn't actually so bad- you just need to turn off your pump or pull out a gallon of water and re-tighten and worst worst case scenario is replace the gasket if it's defective :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%

Back