Bulkhead stuck, help!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exterior overflow that I am trying to get one of the bulkhead fittings loosened. It just won't budge. It's really tough getting any tool in there, and I can't loosen it from the outside fitting due to the plumbing. Any thoughts, suggestions? thx.

Interior view.
bulkhead1.jpg

exterior view.
bulkhead2.jpg

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the nut threads in from the top?
Have you tried a basin wrench?

Yup. It's really difficult getting ahold of it. This isn't my first time doing this with this system. I was conscience of how tight I did it the last time, so I didn't have this problem. Oh well.

I'll I have to look into the basin wrench, but I don't believe it will work based on the orientation of the wrench. But, I'll look further. thx

p.s. I see it pivots. lol Now to find out if there is enough room.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. It's really difficult getting ahold of it. This isn't my first time doing this with this system. I was conscience of how tight I did it the last time, so I didn't have this problem. Oh well.

I'll I have to look into the basin wrench, but I don't believe it will work based on the orientation of the wrench. But, I'll look further. thx

p.s. I see it pivots. lol Now to find out if there is enough room.
Yea its specially made for what youre trying to do. It likely will work but ive worked on some sinks where its impossible so cant say forsure 100%.
Screenshot_20210805-142405_Chrome.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you turn the bottom half. That normally loosens up the nut, may need to cut the plumbing and add a union if you haven’t yet.
I have an exterior overflow that I am trying to get one of the bulkhead fittings loosened. It just won't budge. It's really tough getting any tool in there, and I can't loosen it from the outside fitting due to the plumbing. Any thoughts, suggestions? thx.

Interior view.
bulkhead1.jpg

exterior view.
bulkhead2.jpg

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you turn the bottom half. That normally loosens up the nut, may need to cut the plumbing and add a union if you haven’t yet.

I can turn the bottom half, but it will only go so far before it hits the leg of the stand. The last option is to cut the pipe so I can unscrew it from the bottom. thx.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can turn the bottom half, but it will only go so far before it hits the leg of the stand. The last option is to cut the pipe so I can unscrew it from the bottom. thx.

I did finally get the bulkhead unstuck. I have to laugh at myself for not thinking of this. Yes, the leg to the stand was in the way of turning the pipe from the bottom. All I needed to do was move the move the tank about 12 inches off of the stand. lol It gave me enough room to get around the middle leg of the stand and turn it one full turn. That loosened it up enough to unscrew the bulkhead from the top.

thanks for everyone's help.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back