Bully Clownfish

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank (125G 5 foot) had a pair of premium orange & white clownfish; one of them succumbed during our Flatworm Exit fiasco. It was looking sad (daughter's words) so I bought it some company.

Got another larger O&W clown, and a pair of premium Black & White clowns. I was hoping to end up with two pairs; if they stayed paired based on coloring cool, but didn't really matter to me.

The new B&W clowns are about the same size as the existing O&W one. After about a week they started bullying the O&W one. After a couple weeks of this I had enough and sumped them for a time-out.

Yesterday, after about a week in time-out, they went back into the DT. This time-out gave the O&W pair time to bond a little more... not to mention that the little one isn't taking any crap anymore (so far). Looks like the larger O&W is even protecting the smaller one a bit.

I know it's mostly just "fronting" to sort out the pecking order, so I should just let it run its course. If I see any actual persistent/consistent damage I'll sump and possibly rehome the pair I like the least.

What are the odds that they'll all just "get along"?

PXL_20210107_012112373.MP.jpg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very low, unfortunately. I don't remember the exact number, but I believe clownfish generally call a 4x4x4 foot area their territory. If you have two pairs in one tank, they will be calling the same space their territory and will likely fight to the death (until there is one pair left). If you are trying to set up a harem, you need like 7 more clowns

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed with above. Very slim chance, wish they could get along I love a nice pair of clowns.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing is better in my opinion that clownfish and anemones. I have a pair of Wyoming White that host my RBTA. Its amazing
I just bought a wild pair of percula clowns which are gorgeous. But of course they don’t host my anemones I have in the tank. Always the corner!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back