Bumblebee Snail Vs Vermited Snail timelapse

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was clipping a few vermited snails here and there when I wasn't able to crush one, it fell to the sandbed. I walked away and came back 30 minutes later to this interaction.

I keep my snails hangry, I only feed what the fish will eat, I belive this to be a big factor whether they go after vermited or not.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen them go after the vermitids if they’re on the rock or only after you pry them off?

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen them go after the vermitids if they’re on the rock or only after you pry them off?
I've noticed several times them hanging around them. I just didn't have time to watch. My number have reduces significantly. The key is to not over feed the tank so they stay hungry.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year and half ago I had vermatids around the rocks. The ones on my zoa garden were irritating my zoas and they stayed closed. I threw in half a dozen bumblebee snails and I haven’t seen a vermatid in over a year. They do a great job.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I use to see a ton of the Vermitids webs all over my tank, I used wet gulf rock for my latest tank and the rocks came with what felt like 100’s… I put a dozen of these in the tank 3 months ago and I am hard pressed to find any webbing. I didn’t realize you should snip or pry them off the rocks. I also only feed my fish once a day… so maybe my snails are hangry too!

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use to see a ton of the Vermitids webs all over my tank, I used wet gulf rock for my latest tank and the rocks came with what felt like 100’s… I put a dozen of these in the tank 3 months ago and I am hard pressed to find any webbing. I didn’t realize you should snip or pry them off the rocks. I also only feed my fish once a day… so maybe my snails are hangry too!
It's best to crush or lance them. I used dental picks to do just that, this one just got away from me.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused about vermatids! I never realized they put out webs and I have been wondering what this big tube was sitting next to my pectina and I noticed the web the other day when I had flow off for a little while! Funny thing is it isnt bothering the pectinia at all! I have a lot of questions so here goes LOL:
Why do most people say to glue them shut if you can crush them?
I was under the impression if you crushed them it released a bunch of eggs or something so thats why they were glueing shut.

I have a bunch of spike looking things growing from my rock that are purple (could be coraline) and now am wondering if I should crush/glue them all especially since I am going to finally permantely glue down my corals.

I have left them on plugs for years just trying to figure out placement and final results of what tank would look like full grown!
How can i ell if these spikes are vermaids? They dont have a flat tube like top like the big one I have more of a slight angle and sort of pointed. Would webs be coming out when they are small and is it only when flow is off you see the webs?
Sorry to hijack this thread and ask so many questions.

Just dont want o put out another post quite yet! LOL

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused about vermatids! I never realized they put out webs and I have been wondering what this big tube was sitting next to my pectina and I noticed the web the other day when I had flow off for a little while! Funny thing is it isnt bothering the pectinia at all! I have a lot of questions so here goes LOL:
Why do most people say to glue them shut if you can crush them?
I was under the impression if you crushed them it released a bunch of eggs or something so thats why they were glueing shut.

I have a bunch of spike looking things growing from my rock that are purple (could be coraline) and now am wondering if I should crush/glue them all especially since I am going to finally permantely glue down my corals.

I have left them on plugs for years just trying to figure out placement and final results of what tank would look like full grown!
How can i ell if these spikes are vermaids? They dont have a flat tube like top like the big one I have more of a slight angle and sort of pointed. Would webs be coming out when they are small and is it only when flow is off you see the webs?
Sorry to hijack this thread and ask so many questions.

Just dont want o put out another post quite yet! LOL
The webbing comes out with the flow off or on and the webbing irritates corals. I had one on my large zoa garden. I noticed a group of zoas weren’t opening but after a couple weeks I took a closer look and there was a vermatid snail that had been irritating them. I removed it but the zoas never opened and eventually melted away. I threw a handful of bumblebee snails in and haven’t seen one in over a year and a half. You could also crush or glue them but I think people find gluing is easier. No spores or eggs are released when you crush them. Bumblebees take care of the ones in places you can’t see.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine have really done a good job with control of these things

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back