Snail sperm making tank cloudy

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
So today I did a waterchange, and less then 5 minutes later one of my snails was having a "good time". He started blasting for a solid hour (honestly don't even want to know how), which made my whole tank super cloudy. My fish and corals didn't really seem to mind, but does this go away automatically (skimmer and carbon) or will this only vanish after water changes? Does turning on the UV help?
I got 3 or 4 more of these snails, how long until I can expect babies? And how many? I got 2 small hermits so I don't expect them to get all of the babies.

IMG_5771.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t stick your hand in the water, it will cause blindness …..

filming the event could violate state laws…

seriously tho, following…interesting issue

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free coral food (don't worry about a water-change should clear up asap on its own)! Love when my snails spawn, trochus spawn fairly often. If you're lucky you will get babies :)

OP
OP
R

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free coral food! Love when my snails spawn, trochus spawn fairly often. If you're lucky you will get babies :)
Really? This is my first time but I had a little temp drop yesterday and that seems to trigger this behaviour. So no water changes? Just let it slide? Some new snails would save me some cash haha.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it ride!

I’ve had this happen many times and the cloudiness will go away in a couple hours. No action necessary. Assuming the event is successful you could start seeing baby snails in about 30-45 days. They will be tiny and you’ll notice a draw on your alk as they grow. If you have gyre pumps, you’ll find they make their way in the rotors. Overall it’s a good experience and you might end up with snails for all your tanks. I started with 2 Banded Trochus and have been able to stock all three of my tanks with the offspring.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? This is my first time but I had a little temp drop yesterday and that seems to trigger this behaviour. So no water changes? Just let it slide? Some new snails would save me some cash haha.
Totally, let it slide

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back