Bump on Flameback Angel

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this flameback angel from my LFS. He’s been in qt for almost 24 hours with a possum wrasse. Spending some time observing him today and not sure if he has a bump on his head between his eye and dorsal or I am just paranoid. If it is a bump, what is it and how should I treat the fish? Water parameters are fine and he seems to be acting normal (or at least normal for a jittery angel)
1062B354-31F8-4DB1-97DF-AB7392BCA408.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this flameback angel from my LFS. He’s been in qt for almost 24 hours with a possum wrasse. Spending some time observing him today and not sure if he has a bump on his head between his eye and dorsal or I am just paranoid. If it is a bump, what is it and how should I treat the fish? Water parameters are fine and he seems to be acting normal (or at least normal for a jittery angel)
1062B354-31F8-4DB1-97DF-AB7392BCA408.jpeg
That does look like a bump. It isn’t a symptom of any of the common external diseases, it may literally be from just a bump. Is the fish eating well?
Will you be treating it with preventive meds?
Jay

OP
OP
F

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Jay. The fish is eating well. I also noticed what looks like a white spot on its upper gill behind the eye. What do you think that is? The highly visible white spot is on the glass. He is in the qt with a possum Wrasse. Was planning on copper power with a 7 day ramp up and then general cure as qt treatment.
1035876C-1F8C-4B8F-9540-E28CCB43FAF1.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Jay. The fish is eating well. I also noticed what looks like a white spot on its upper gill behind the eye. What do you think that is? The highly visible white spot is on the glass. He is in the qt with a possum Wrasse. Was planning on copper power with a 7 day ramp up and then general cure as qt treatment.
1035876C-1F8C-4B8F-9540-E28CCB43FAF1.jpeg
You definitely should not take 7 days to ramp up copper, that leaves your fish exposed to disease while they are below treatment levels. Two days is all you need, as long as you know the tank volume and have a good copper test kit. I use coppersafe and always dose in one day. Dealers routinely move fish into full copper….
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back