Burghia Nudibranches... what a job!

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a 5 pack of Burghia Nudibranches off eBay a few weeks ago. $135 for what looked like 5 brine shrimp. Gram for gram, probably more expensive than gold.

I have to say though, after 3 weeks, they have eliminated a group of aptasia that was growing on one of my live rocks, just under a colony of green candy cane coral. I had maybe 6-10 full grown aptasia that are now wiped out. I was careful with placement of these babies (about 2-3" from the aphasia colony). Well worth the money.

OP
OP
M

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they were well worth the money. Glad it all worked out. Any photos?
Sorry, I forgot to take before and after photos. The aptasia was in a pretty obscure place anyway. I manually removed what I could, just couldn't get to the last of the little buggers. I'm just hoping the Nudibranches stay alive in there to get to any stragglers. From what I read, they can starve to death before finding the last of the aptasia.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please move them on when clear as the poor things will starve.

I can also highly recommend peppermint strimps, had a big problem 3 weeks ago, added two peppermints now I can’t see any.

OP
OP
M

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please move them on when clear as the poor things will starve.

I can also highly recommend peppermint strimps, had a big problem 3 weeks ago, added two peppermints now I can’t see any.
How would I even do this? I only ever saw one of them again in the wee early hours of the morning with a flashlight. They are nocturnal.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did an excellent job! I made the same concerns to captain Jeff at Reeftown and he stated the same thing occurs in nature. I noticed a small one about 5 weeks after I saw the last aptasia. Here is a picture of an original medium size one.
3D799545-9AD2-4AD8-857F-B8FA7D56D7A2.jpeg

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put three in my tank and have only seen them twice since. I'm not sure how they pick their prey but one rock is aptasia free but doesn't look like they've touched any of the other rocks.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put three in my tank and have only seen them twice since. I'm not sure how they pick their prey but one rock is aptasia free but doesn't look like they've touched any of the other rocks.
My understanding is they don’t cross sand. I started mine on a zoa island and placed a rock to be a bridge to the main rock structure.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any Wrasse? I tried adding Nudi but I think my wrasse ate them.
The picture of the Berghia nudibranch on the glass was taken during daylight. My 6 line wrasse would swim by and ignore it. My understanding is wrasses, peppermint shrimp and anything that would eat aptasia would eat Berghia nudibranchs.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my mp40’s get them. Otherwise, they are great.

William Bruckmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture of the Berghia nudibranch on the glass was taken during daylight. My 6 line wrasse would swim by and ignore it. My understanding is wrasses, peppermint shrimp and anything that would eat aptasia would eat Berghia nudibranchs.
Berghia are highly toxic and most predators leave them alone. Wrasses will grab them but spit them out after a taste. Peppermint shrimp will eat them however.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back