Burning Through DI Resin, how do I improve?

OP
OP
M

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 95% rejection rate for a 4 week old Dow Filmtec membrane is quite poor. A new membrane should have at least a 98% rejection rate. When you initially set up your system and later replaced the prefilters, did you flush the prefilters separately , sediment first followed by the carbon block without the membrane and DI in place? Without flushing your prefilters first, I’m wondering if the membrane got fouled if left in place downstream during the initial prefilter flushing process.

Negative, I let them all run at the same time for awhile.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point before purchasing anything further, I would suggest you touch base with Russ from @Buckeye Hydro so he can help you configure your system properly (TDS triple inline meter and multi stage DI) to get the most efficiency out of your DI based on your high incoming TDS. Buckeye Hydeo is a company that specifically deals with water purification and they will be able to meet your needs.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OPs problem is probably not TDS creep.
Its's probably not a spent RO Membrane,
The problem is like most of us that have well water: It's the C02 that is killing your DI Resin!
I can go through 2 standard color changing resin cartridges in less than 2 days which equates to about 80 gallons of 0 TDS water. BTW, my TDS post membrane before DI is anywhere from 5 to 10.
Consequently, I have resorted to regenerating my own color changing DI resin. Its fairly easy, but just takes time to do. Thus, I am planning a post filter/membrane reservoir with aerator for x days prior to pushing this water through my DI resin.

OP
OP
M

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is like most of us that have well water: It's the C02 that is killing your DI Resin!
I can go through 2 standard color changing resin cartridges in less than 2 days which equates to about 80 gallons of 0 TDS water. BTW, my TDS post membrane before DI is anywhere from 5 to 10.
Consequently, I have resorted to regenerating my own color changing DI resin. Its fairly easy, but just takes time to do. Thus, I am planning a post filter/membrane reservoir with aerator for x days prior to pushing this water through my DI resin.

Yah, just to check I replaced everything and made sure to break them all in correctly. That gave me no improvement.

For now I just burn through resin. I’ve got bigger things with the tank to focus on. I figure a half effort attempt to improve the resin life right now is just going to end up costing money with no improvement. Once the tank is doing well I might tackle the issue.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. See page 1.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back