Burr Fish Puffer looks Ill

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had him for about a month and he eats like a garbage disposal. He is perfect in every way but I’ve noticed him slowing down and today he is straight up laying on the floor of the tank just staring at the wall. Before you say he looks fine he definitely isn’t while I was typing this I just looked up and die the first time since the first week he got to the tank he was inflated. When he finished inflating he looked like he was trying to throw up and at the end I saw a little food come out of his gills. I haven’t fed them this morning. Is hard to get an up close picture of the side or back of him he loves his food delivery man.

IMG_5581.jpeg IMG_5580.jpeg IMG_5579.jpeg IMG_5578.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve only had him for about a month and he eats like a garbage disposal. He is perfect in every way but I’ve noticed him slowing down and today he is straight up laying on the floor of the tank just staring at the wall. Before you say he looks fine he definitely isn’t while I was typing this I just looked up and die the first time since the first week he got to the tank he was inflated. When he finished inflating he looked like he was trying to throw up and at the end I saw a little food come out of his gills. I haven’t fed them this morning. Is hard to get an up close picture of the side or back of him he loves his food delivery man.

IMG_5581.jpeg IMG_5580.jpeg IMG_5579.jpeg IMG_5578.jpeg
Dont really see anything that sticks out but pics are also quite blue to clearly see any imperfections ( Pics best under white lighting for clear assessment.
Assure water quality is good. Also belly is a little flat for this type of fish - What foods are you feeding?

OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve verified water quality I do water changes every two weeks. Reading the puffer forums people say intestinal parasites are common In this fish but he was treated for them at the LFS I bought him from. Can he get them again?​

Attachments

• IMG_5603.jpeg
    IMG_5603.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5604.jpeg
    IMG_5604.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5602.jpeg
    IMG_5602.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
P

Portallands

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve verified water quality I do water changes every two weeks. Reading the puffer forums people say intestinal parasites are common In this fish but he was treated for them at the LFS I bought him from. Can he get them again?​

@vetteguy53081 also thanks this is the second time you are helping me out.

I feed frozen clams on the half dymysis, Calanus, Rods chunky blend, and Rods Reef frenzy. I alternate them randomly. When I feed I feed him directly and the other fish in the tank feed around him.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Internal parasites is very common in this fish. A previous treatment could have knocked down the parasites but not knocked them out completely. Do you know what they used, they also may have not followed up with additional doses that are necessary or may have not used the best med for the broadest range of parasites. General cure is the best

treatment used in 2 doses, I do them 5 days apart. Some other digestive issues may at least be alleviate some by raising mg to 1400-1600ppm. If he is blowing up there is probably some type of distress. If treated properly and effectively for internal parasites, the other way is to get them again by eating the poo of an infected fish or eating an infected live fish.

If he stops eating then it's likely internal parasites. An insatiable appetite can preclude stopping eating due to the parasites stealing all the nutrients.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use Metronidazole 3 doses every other day. I just picked some up from them.

Metro is good for internal protozoans, dosed at 25 ppm every other day for three treatments (no invertebrates in the tank though).

Personally, I prefer using General Cure, which is metronidazole plus Praziquantel (the latter helps with tapeworms).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 also thanks this is the second time you are helping me out.

I feed frozen clams on the half dymysis, Calanus, Rods chunky blend, and Rods Reef frenzy. I alternate them randomly. When I feed I feed him directly and the other fish in the tank feed around him.
Parasites indeed common and already addressed. Rods - good. Also small chunks of shrimp, krill, silversides and sliced scallops

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back