Busted tds meter?

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2019
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
1,332
Location
Williamstown NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After noticing my tds had started to rise and that my rodi resin was depleting I did the obvious thing: I replaced my resin. After that i noticed that I was still seeing tds in the out. So seeing that my sediment cartridge was looking pretty nasty I just decided to get one of brs’ media replacement kits.(This one) and even after all that I’m still seeing tds that is vastly greater than the in tds reading can anyone help me? I’ve been putting off my weekly water changes because of this.
 
You using TDS meter on RO unit or handheld? TDS Meter on RO unit do fail especially in time.
 
The sensor may have rotated. Water flow must be "between" the posts on the probe. Think "field goal". Might be worth checking as having the probe rotated 90 degrees will cause false readings.
 
The sensor may have rotated. Water flow must be "between" the posts on the probe. Think "field goal". Might be worth checking as having the probe rotated 90 degrees will cause false readings.
Okay so after checking the sensor and making sure water was flowing through the poles, the out tds went quickly from 100+ tds to 48ish tds. From there it’s been slowly going down and is now at 33 but is lowering very slowly. (The in tds is 12) .is it safe to say I have a busted meter/sensor if it’s not zero later?
 
As water runs through the meter it may keep going down. I get that sometimes on my unit on the IN side of the unit, but not the out.

Was the sensor rotated?
 
As water runs through the meter it may keep going down. I get that sometimes on my unit on the IN side of the unit, but not the out.

Was the sensor rotated?
To be honest I’m not sure if it was. But now I’m sure it’s not.
 
Okay so I went to my lfs and got a hand held tds and it’s reading 36ish…. So it’s not a problem with my reader so much as it is something with the filter itself
 
Bummer but glad you caught the issue. You said you did replace all the filters? How old is are the existing filters you are replacing? Just curious.
 
Old enough that the last sediment filter is brown all the way throughout. The ro resin was about 2/3 of the way orange. And I’m pretty sure the carbon block is supposed to out live the both of them so I couldn’t giv you an estimate on its remaining life.
 
Ok so I dismantled my ordi filter entirely and reinstalled everything. I even did a fresh refill of my di resin using the one from the kit I ordered from brs. That seems to have done the trick, as I am now reading 0 tds out. I’m starting to think that I purchased the wrong di resin before
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new