Butterflyfish Best Practices

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
573
Reaction score
527
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love some insight as to how we are managing butterflyfish. Mix and match? Trios?

What is the best diet, is it Mysis?

What are your thoughts on keeping them with certain invertebrates? If you have seen them do well with something please advise. I understand they are NOT REEF SAFE, but there are always exceptions. For example are hermits crabs safe? Are anemones safe?

Any other special details are welcome, and if you have a great set up with butterflies, please share some pictures!!
 
I think it varies by butterfly fish. Lots of folks have great luck with copperbands as model citizens, once you can convince them to eat. I had a klein's butterfly to get rid of aiptasia, and it did a great job at that, but I also noticed my corals and bubbltip anemones never wanted to extend their polyps while the butterfly was around, so you never know.
 
My copperband is an excellent addition but, did peck at red trachies, but not green. May not harass clams right away, but mine did about a year down the road. Is suspected of nipping my red BTA.

All completely understandable given that snout.

Zero Aptasia. And whatever else he’s digging out of the rockwork.

Great fish, eats mostly mysis, maybe some brine.

IMG_1228.jpeg
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new