Button scolys, what are they?

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen an emergence of these little mini-scolys (button scoly) around, and I'm trying to get some more info on them, and what exactly they are. Thanks!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a different species than the more commonly seen Aussie Scolymia australis or Indo Parascolymia vitiensis. Veron had no idea what the actual species was, but confirmed they weren't formally described to his knowledge.

They haven't been seen in nature much bigger than a quarter, and none have been in captivity long enough to determine full grown size [to my knowledge], so I suspect they'll stay dwarfed by S. australis.

For what it's worth they do not get along with other species of Scolymia.

Cherry Corals has some really cool one's I saw the other day.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mini-scoly you are referring to is from Western Australia, I believe, and is not a scolymia. Recent coral taxonomy changes have resulted in only a single species in the genus Scolymia, a Caribbean species, Scolymia lacera. Scolymia australis is now Homophyllia australis. The mini-scoly is reputed to be quite aggressive, unlike Homophyllia australis; therefore, it seems unlikely that they are the same species, although that is just conjecture on my part.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a different species than the more commonly seen Aussie Scolymia australis or Indo Parascolymia vitiensis. Veron had no idea what the actual species was, but confirmed they weren't formally described to his knowledge.

They haven't been seen in nature much bigger than a quarter, and none have been in captivity long enough to determine full grown size [to my knowledge], so I suspect they'll stay dwarfed by S. australis.

For what it's worth they do not get along with other species of Scolymia.

Cherry Corals has some really cool one's I saw the other day.

Weren't they recently discovered (i.e. within the past ten years or so)?

emmaleegrech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple in that I have kept for myself and have also sold a few. The first time I had them in they were listed as Cynarinas. I queried this with my supplier as it looked closer to a Scolymia. The last lot that came in were listed as Western Australia Mini Scolymia.
As I have mentioned above I kept two myself. The first which is now the largest of the two was approximately 5cm in diameter when it came to me. It now inflates up to 12cm in diameter.

I would love to know more about these corals if anyone can shed some more light on them.

emmaleegrech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice If more people who had these in their system to tell us how what they think of them. I've not seen aggressive behaviour sp far. One is placed in my display between 2 lordhowensis acans and has so far not had any warfare with either. The other is still in my frag tank and has been next to zoas and again i haven't had any issues from it :)

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice If more people who had these in their system to tell us how what they think of them. I've not seen aggressive behaviour sp far. One is placed in my display between 2 lordhowensis acans and has so far not had any warfare with either. The other is still in my frag tank and has been next to zoas and again i haven't had any issues from it :)

DSCF7040.JPG

I have two from CC. Since this picture they both have inflated more and as you can barely see in the picture they are about 2-3 inches from a scoly. I haven't seen any aggression towards my scolymia australis. I will post pictures tonight as they become a bush of tentacles at night just screaming for them to be fed.

I also have them up against the glass in a cube which forces a bit of flow back which they seem to enjoy.

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic I just took of them to give an idea of size and spacing. Like i said earlier, I will post a night time pic later. Can they touch, I don't know, but I do know the one on the left seems to be doing much better than the one on the right growth wise.

Attachments

• DSCF7117.JPG
    DSCF7117.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 991
  • DSCF7118.JPG
    DSCF7118.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 998

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to aggression, they don't have long sweepers, you just don't want them touching other species of "Scolies" or other coral.
Weren't they recently discovered (i.e. within the past ten years or so)?
To my knowledge, yes. I was told a fish collector stumbled upon them at one point.

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know more about these too. I have 2 coming in tomorrow, might sell 1. I'll have to update tomorrow once I see them with my own eyes.

emmaleegrech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my lateness guys, here is one of mine:

This is going in the display system today next to my other one. I will get photos of the other too :) would be interesting to see how many varieties are out there. So come on peeps get those cameras / phones out and get snapping!

(Photo taken under t5's with a Nikon d3200 and tamron 90mm lens)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back