Button scolys, what are they?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I had no idea there were beautiful mini scoly's until this week. These are so cool!! So they won't get to big? I have a nano that has a big scoly in it and it's growing like a beast. Maybe time to trade it in for a button? So even with heavy feeding they won't get to big? Do they split?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 of them in my DT. They are super cool and act/feed similar to the larger scolys I have... Here are some pics under blues...
They are quite beautiful and I haven't seen much in the way of aggression, but then again, they have good clearance from other corals. A couple of mine have 2 heads... The last pic is one of the minis next to a bigger brethren.

IMG-1124.jpg
IMG-1125.jpg
IMG-1123.jpg
unnamed.jpg

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like little hybrids of acans/scolys. Has anyone here tried putting a normal scoly close to the button ones? With lack of long sweeper tentacles I don't understand how a scoly would be to threatening

Vness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad that I found this thread. I have been nursing a pretty cool “hitchiker” that came on my LR I ordered about a year ago. I noticed this when it was the size of a peppercorn about 6 months ago. It wasn't until I upgraded my light that it all of a sudden is quite literally showing its true colors. Pretty sure this is a button scoly. There's no feathery edge tentacles and now is bigger than some of my zoa polyps.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad that I found this thread. I have been nursing a pretty cool “hitchiker” that came on my LR I ordered about a year ago. I noticed this when it was the size of a peppercorn about 6 months ago. It wasn't until I upgraded my light that it all of a sudden is quite literally showing its true colors. Pretty sure this is a button scoly. There's no feathery edge tentacles and now is bigger than some of my zoa polyps.
PHOTO!! :)

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Button scoliosis are actually a species of micromussa called micromussa pacifica.
So button scolys are not related to scolys at all? Or both button and normal sized scolys got changed to micromussa Pacifica. I ask because I thought I heard someone say a scoly is no longer the correct term.

OP still waiting for a photo muhahaha

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So button scolys are not related to scolys at all? Or both button and normal sized scolys got changed to micromussa Pacifica. I ask because I thought I heard someone say a scoly is no longer the correct term.

OP still waiting for a photo muhahaha
Button scolies are micromussa pacifica, regular scolies are homophyllia australis. They are related as they are both in the same family: lobophylliidae.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my first button Scoly at one of our frag swaps. The more I look at them they seem like mini trachys that never get to large as opposed to mini scolys (I guess both look similar). I have it right next to acans I’ll update if they start fighting.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back