Buy a new tank tomorrow that still running

813Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m still new to the hobby I am purchasing a new tank tomorrow that is still up and running looks professionally tooken care of the guy says he pays the local store to come out and take care of it because he is a business man and rarely around was wondering if if I could just put the water that in the tank in gallons and reuse it when I bring it back to my place since it cycled he is giving me all the live stock with the tank and I don’t have no room in my old tank for them just don’t know what to do ?

these are the pictures of the tank

8FE17353-D1A5-45ED-A4C8-096391F2EBEE.jpeg 98D32424-6818-4943-9194-C4496D04C499.jpeg 046E06F8-AC3E-48C3-AD93-F51BE2A23A05.jpeg 5603C264-7B9C-4FBC-883A-0827BB8FA463.jpeg 1ECF9A0A-1812-41F6-9AAA-566D04C8A392.jpeg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that moving the sand around in a saltwater tank will result in detritus to be released into the water column. Also note that you will most likely lose some water during the moving process.

I say prepare by making some extra saltwater now for any loss that you will have. You can use the same water, just use some filter floss to catch the inevitable detritus that will come out from the sandbed, rocks, and dead spots (low flow areas) once you have the tank running in your home.

OP
OP
813Reefs

813Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that moving the sand in an older tank will result in detritus to be released into the water column. Also note that you will most likely lose some water during the moving process.

I say prepare by making some extra saltwater now. You can use the same water, just use some filter floss to catch the inevitable detritus that will come out from the sandbed and dead spots (low flow areas).
I was planning on leaving a quarter of the water still in the tank than when I get home filling it back up with the water I took out from the tank tomorrow when I go pick it up I will be testing the water for everything before doing all this but I’m pretty sure the water will be good to do local store been caring for the tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on leaving a quarter of the water still in the tank than when I get home filling it back up with the water I took out from the tank tomorrow when I go pick it up I will be testing the water for everything before doing all this but I’m pretty sure the water will be good to do local store been caring for the tank
You should plan to use all new sand, or plan to rinse the existing sand until it runs clear before putting it back into the tank.
Otherwise, you'll have extremely dirty water with lots of pollutants.
You might ask the store that's been taking care of the tank to hold the livestock for you while you get the tank moved and restarted. New sand, new water, existing rock, bottled bacteria, and you should be good to go in less than a week.

(The advice above comes from personal experience trying to reuse sand and move/set up a tank full of fish and coral in one day... It just does not work)

OP
OP
813Reefs

813Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended buying new sand used 35% of the water that was in the tank replaced the rest with new water and put new rocks in the tank and the old rocks that where in I put them in my sump and added a hole small bottle of fritz turbo start last night today everything tested well ammonia nitrite and nitrate

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back