• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Buyer Beware.... Out nearly $1000.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I bought a sump from Slayeroftheshadow (aka David Rizkalla, aka The Reef Doctor). Here is the timeline:

08.17.16 – Ordered "new in box" 48" Trigger Systems Tideline acrylic aquarium sump from David Rizkalla (The Reef Doctor). I did fraud check before ordering by asking him to give the thumbs up sign in several pictures (images available) to ensure he was in possession of advertised item (pictures carefully omit the area that is cracked);

08.23.16 – Received 48" sump in a one ply cardboard box, no padding, no support; opened package with FEDEX delivery man present and item was visibly damaged (images available); texted seller; he asked that I file through FEDEX;

08.25.16 – Seller became increasingly strange and accusatory via text; stated that I had screwed up and it was my problem now; seller broke off contact via text and email; seller sent emails falsely claiming to have legal representation to my work address; contacted the attorney at the his phone number at the firm and he has no idea who David Rizkalla or The Reef Doctor is; I filed a claim through PayPal;

08.29.16 – Packaged item carefully at a FEDEX center and shipped the item back to the seller at the address that PayPal provided. Tracking 783950403781 (receipt available);

08.31.16 – FEDEX shipment status shows that the item in question is on vehicle ready for delivery in Mount Juliet Tennessee; FEDEX denied his claim due to improper packaging;

09.07.16 – FEDEX still shows item as on vehicle ready for delivery in Mount Juliet Tennessee (as of this date). We contact FEDEX to find out the status of the shipment. Representative advised that the seller had requested the item be held at the warehouse for pickup. I requested a fax stating this to provide to PayPal. We did not get fax. Called FEDEX back and requested again, however the next representative would not send written proof of the seller requesting the package being held. Contacted PayPal and they asked that I obtain proof seller had requested the package be held; Started dispute with FEDEX to try to recoup the shipping fees and obtain proof that the package was being held at seller’s request;

09.12.16 – PayPal ruled in seller’s favor as I could not get the letter from FEDEX in a timely fashion (still no response from FEDEX).

09.13.16 - Filed through my credit card trying to recoup some of the cash.

Attachments

• Receipt from FEDEX for return shipping_I paid.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Texts with David Rizkalla.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 472
  • Tracking Status.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Photos of damage.pdf
    609.4 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update:

My credit card company just finalized my dispute in my favor for the cost of the sump.

I'm still waiting for a verdict on the FEDEX shipping fee. The item is still showing in their TN warehouse ready for delivery, but they cannot give me a reason as to why it has not been delivered or a signature confirmation that it was delivered.

I can't say it enough here that you have to be very careful when purchasing items on this website. If you have any bad feeling about any deal, back out and just buy it retail. This has been a significant hassle and isn't even fully resolved yet.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This turn out ok buddy?

Still holding for FEDEX to credit me back. Just a heads up, MasterCard has a policy of automatically denying your claim and clawing back the account credit. Every case, every time. The honus is placed on the consumer to go back and reopen the claim. Something good to know if you ever have to dispute a charge. They assume the vendor is right automatically. I'm actually considering closing any cards serviced by MC since Visa has a much more consumer friendly policy.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably at FedEx cause he won't sign for it. You should ask how long they intend to hold package before sending it back. That's why I only purchase thru credit cards. Had PayPal dispute one time took forever to resolve. Credit card companies much better and usually in consumer favor if you have everything documented like you do

Absolutely, he won't sign for it. I don't think the sump had my return address on it since it was huge and boxed at a FEDEX store, so it will probably sit there for however long they are willing to pay for the storage space on it.

I'm just really thrilled I have the money back from him personally. This has been nothing but a nightmare. And getting the money back right before Christmas, and even better knowing that it was taken away from him, was like an early Christmas gift. I may even send him a Thank You card.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While realizing that those posting are trying to be of assist no outside comments are permitted. Please review the rule found within the sticky in feedback.

"The feedback forum is to be used by members giving feedback, and for both parties involved a chance to explain, defend, or solve an issue with a member. Outside comments will not be allowed by people not involved in the issue. This forum is not for rants and raves and venting. Post only facts about transactions. Any outside post from anyone who has nothing to do with the matter will be deleted by moderators. Posting of emails, text messages and private messages are prohibited. "

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back