Buying a fish from lfs that keeps them at hypo salinity

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a powder brown tang from a store that keeps their fish at 26ppt salinity and my tank is 35. I am currently drip acclimating him but after 45 minutes the salinity in the bucket is only up to 30. I have been removing a cup of water every 15 minutes. I worry that much longer the temp will drop to low. At what point would it be safe to put him in his tank?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it is not too late. I put it back in the bag and I am floating for another 30 minutes to bring his temp back up slowly and then add in to the tank.
If you’re drip acclimating via a slow drip .
essentially the water you’re dripping in will be the same temp as your tank ?
how can it cool that much to measure a difference ?

if he’s going into your dt at 35ppt I’d slowly drop over a longer period of time .
I personally wouldn’t raise salinity that much in less than a 24 hour period .

most lfs that I buy livestock from maintain lower salinity for many reasons .
1) cheaper to maintain lower 1.020 Sg
2) lower salinity apparently is less risk of parasites . I don’t think 1.020 is low enough to be considered hyposalinity

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Acclimation to the point that bag salinity meets the salinity of tank is of essence. Actually empty bag contents into a clean buckets and add a cup of water from tank to bucket every 15 mins at least 8X then check salinity. Catch fish in same cup and introduce fish to display tank

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you guys. It took an hour and a half and then another 30 minutes floating in a bag but he went in after lights out last night into his acclimation box and looks good this morning. He has already eaten some nori and frozen food.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally only ever temperature acclimated them, my lfs also does this. I am no expert on tangs tho, they usually perish after a few months of being in my reef.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally only ever temperature acclimated them, my lfs also does this. I am no expert on tangs tho, they usually perish after a few months of being in my reef.
I usually do as well. But a couple months back I got the same fish from the same place and only did a cup acclimation for half an hour and it was dead by morning. Perfectly healthy looking fish like this one so I wasn't taking any chances this time.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do as well. But a couple months back I got the same fish from the same place and only did a cup acclimation for half an hour and it was dead by morning. Perfectly healthy looking fish like this one so I wasn't taking any chances this time.
Float the bag for 20-30 minutes, cut the bag open, drain the bag into net into a separate bucket, add fish into tank. That's my method anyway. I added a lunar wrasse this way just last week, so far it seems fine. Hopefully you just go with floating the bag and than adding just the fish to the tank after a good 20+ minute float.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS here keeps the fish at 1.017 and in copper. I might have a 15 minute drive home. I just drip acclimate for 2 hours net the fish and in it goes to the DT. I've had nothing but the best of luck with their fish and acclimating this way, and haven't had a disease problem in 5 years buying from them. I pretty much try to buy my fish from them exclusively.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS here keeps the fish at 1.017 and in copper. I might have a 15 minute drive home. I just drip acclimate for 2 hours net the fish and in it goes to the DT. I've had nothing but the best of luck with their fish and acclimating this way, and haven't had a disease problem in 5 years buying from them. I pretty much try to buy my fish from them exclusively.
That's what I love about this store. He does the same and quarantines all of his fish.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should take weeks to bring a fish up 10ppt. You should also drop the fish in matching salinity and slowly raise the tanks salinity over time. Hence QT tanks.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily hypo salinity. Hypo salinity would be around 1.010. The LFS I worked at kept most of their fish around 1.017. Acclimation should take around 2 hours max. Remember, as the bucket becomes closer to your tanks salinity you can speed up the drips. As long as your room isn’t freezing cold the temp of the water entering the bucket should be fine for maintaining temp

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see it mentioned yet: I wouldn't call that hypo. It's really common for LFS to keep fish under 1.020 s.g. It keeps salt cost down, makes it tougher on diseases, and it's arguably easier on the fish.

There. @MONTANTK said it above.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back