Buying a old tank with sand and rock inside

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm buying a redsea 525xl it has sand and rock with it with water currently inside. Im buying and Ill have to break it down, can I keep the sand in buckets until I am ready to use it? I'll be cycling brand new, this shouldnt be a problem right? Using the old sand and just refilling at a later date like months down the road

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keeping the rock? I would highly suggest rinsing the sand several times with tap and a final rinse with RO. It can be stored in buckets but I would let it dry out a bit.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would re-use the sand after thorough washing/rinsing, but only if i can verify that the prior owner didn't treat the tank with copper.

rinse in small batches until the water runs clear. it'll take a while.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would re-use the sand after thorough washing/rinsing, but only if i can verify that the prior owner didn't treat the tank with copper.

rinse in small batches until the water runs clear. it'll take a while.
agree with others, I'd also keep 1-2 cups of old sand (as long as it wasnt treated w copper) to help seed the rinsed/clean sand.

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did with a 220g tank, I decided to keep the rock, but toss the sand. I cleaned the rock with tooth brush, vinegar and water mix, left to bake in sun.
New fine crushed coral, rock placed in tank, filled tank with rodi and mixed salt . Right from day one when I was cycling had a massive ammonia spike , no problem just took cycling a bit longer, 8 to 12 wks I think, but I cycled naturally without any bottled bacteria. Anyway 4mths later got a great tank

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend starting fresh new sand. then you know what you are putting in the tank and know it better. If you are going to reuse the sand, I would was the sand in tap water like already suggested, last one in rodi water. Then I would let it just dry out. Spread it out and let whatever life might be holding on die. If you have the time and space that way would work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back